Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.UA.title
Andrey_Dnepr

Finally true.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisaLyd_12

Hi there - another disgruntled Oreo user here.

Recently purchased a Sony XF9005 (55") and the TV is otherwise superb other than when playing standard HDR content (not Dolby Vision) the TV's UI menus and also the entire picture turn grey, dull and washed out.

I have updated to the latest Oreo 8 (v6.6510) firmware and tried a factory re-set of the set but all HDR content either played via the internal apps or HDMI source are terrible and grey.

I have spent countless hours with settings and factory resets but nothing seems to have fixed this issue.

Is the only answer to await another Sony update or is there something I am missing?

This is my first 4K TV since the KDL50w809b and so far, I am put off somewhat with HDR...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@ChrisaLyd_12 are you able to post a video (via youtube i.e.) showing also the relevant HDR setting in your advanced image setting while playing HDR content?

Something that baffle me is in particular when you write "the TV's UI menus [...]turn grey, dull and washed out". The UI is not HDR so the tv should not ever display it using an HDR profile or a different color space.. just the video content! Unless, but I do not think you are doing this, you force HDR on an SDR profile.

In normal use you can see a grey UI (i.e. on youtube HDR content) when you stop the video playing and you return to the youtube UI just for the small time the tv takes to switch from the related HDR profile (and BT2020 colour space) to the SDR one (and BT709 colour space).

maybe I misunderstood what you are seeing 

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisaLyd_12

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

As an example, I have reset the TV back to factory defaults recently, all i have done is sign in with my streaming app credentails such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Watched The Grand Tour on prime video in 4K HDR, immediatly the TV switches to HDR mode and the TV's UI overlay when pressing the action memu button on the remote is very dull and washed out. This is also reflected in the entire screen contrast and white balance. Whites are grey, and as other users have pointed out, the TV looks like a grey film has been placed over the screen.

As soon as you stop watching any 4K HDR content and switch back to SDR, the picture mode menus are back to normal contrast.

It would appear that any HDR content is grey and dull - other SDR and also (oddly enough) Dolby Vision content via Netflix, the UI picture settings menus are normal!

This issue is just affecting HDR mode content.

My settings are default after a factory reset and all set for Auto for the HDR settings on every input.

This has been tested on an HDMI source such as an Apple TV when playing the same content in 4K HDR.

I think the Oreo update has fixed Dolby Vision but now made HDR mode dull!!!!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I can only say that this not my case. I have a different TV (kd55a1).
In prime video looking grand tour is wonderful and when HDR is engaged also the overlay is more brilliant. Even the action menu.
I can only post a video of my TV in order to show it
profile.country.GB.title
ChrisaLyd_12

Well this would suggest that this issue is affecting certain models - any other XF9 users that can also agree?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@rooobb  ha scritto:
I can just say that this not my case. I have a different TV (kd55a1).
In prime video looking grand tour is wonderful and when HDR is engaged also the overlay is more brilliant. Even the action menu.
I can only post a video of my TV in order to show it

Ok this is the video. It is done with a cheap Sammy phone so please trust me that when the image is not brilliant is due to the camera losing focus and I didn't have time to get it via a proper camera.

Hope that this show something different from your setup. But even so in Italy I didn't get any XF90 owner claiming the same problem.

https://youtu.be/lO5roqLJKVk

profile.country.GB.title
Mr_Writer
Explorer

I get the same result XD80

What it looks like to me is they're either slightly more transparent, or the content is much brighter it turns it from a black to a dull grey.

Thats only the action menus, the full side menu looks the same just a bit brighter.

SDRSDRHDRHDR

I had just asumed that was how it was supposed to be. 

Edit sorry the HDR pic is the wrong one but it won't let me upload any more.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisaLyd_12

Hi,

After reading around the net, it would appear that the German Sony forum users are also having the same issue:

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://community.sony.at/t5/android-tv...

Take a look at the photos on forum page 8.

My XF9005 is exactly like this - you can hardly see the menu UI which also is applied to the entire image!

Grey, dull, colours look faded.

This occurs in any build-in HDR app mode or via any of the HDMI ports when using an Apple TV or XBOX ONE X etc.

Terrible update, wish I kept the firmware on 7 straight out of the box!

I have raised a bug ticket and had a response that my issue has been noted and will be addressed in a future update.

How long is this going to take to release? Another 3 months like the 'fixed' OREO update?

Spending £1000 on a TV and it looks like this is distressing.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

I can confirm that my case is the same as @rooobb 

My TV is an 55XE9005.

Could the above problem be an issue of the xf series?