Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
ChrisaLyd_12
profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

Here we go again. This really shouldn’t happen. 

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

This must be a side effect of the continuous improvement agile methodology we were told was being practised at Sony in this thread. In reality the evidence backs up the theory that at Sony this means: release software without properly testing it.

The only saving grace in this debacle is that Sony's end users can choose to not immediately install the latest and greatest emitted to the world but only if they pause at the right time and consider Sony's development process to be generally broken.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @joelippa,

I thought of jumping into the conversation just to help clear out the article linked by @ChrisaLyd_12.

As I already have mentioned in the past, every region has its own firmware development branch which targets matters specifically relevant to that particular region. The notification for the Asia Pacific region is not in any way relevant for the European region. As you probably might know, the Asia Pacific region has not received the second Oreo update for which the equivalent has been out already in Europe since May 22. The article is notifying customers in the Asia Pacific region that their next Oreo update will be delayed as of June 13.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GR.title
Johnickz

Guys will anyone fix the 30% locked brightness, colorness, contrastness on Android UI of this disgusting OREO 6.6510 Update on my 65XF9005 or I just throwed 1350 euros on the bin (700e SAMMY of 2007 seems a lot better I promise you).

I want to see Youtube menu at day, I want to find some videos on KODI, I need to see some Flash Video from browsers on a 1350 screen. Should I call service center and start a bad conversation, shall I demand full refund or replacement? Any ideas?

I ll post a screenshot of my 1350 euro screen playing a video tomorrow please do not laugh.

Any comparison with your late 2010 under 500 euros screen is acceptable.

GIVE US THE OLD FIRMWARE FOR GODS LOVE.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisaLyd_12

Hi @Johnickz 

Yes I would also like the terrible UI and picture issues resolved but I believe we are at the mercy of Sony's schedule.

I have been having back and forth messages to Sony UK's customer care and have raised a ticket with them, over the past week I have provided them with all of the details they have asked for but keep getting generic, scripted replies back.

All we want is a fix (obviously!) and also a time scale to when this issue is going to be resolved - not sure if its localised to the XF range or wider but either way, after investing a £1000 into a TV this is not acceptable.

This is our first 4K HDR enabled TV and so far, HDR (not DV) has been a disappointment.

profile.country.GB.title
nemwen
Explorer

I seem to have almost the opposite problem: I'm on Android 7 and the UI brigtness is at times far too high. It's especially atrocious when watching movies, with subtitles being an eye-piercing bright white, extremely distracting and fatigueing. Even setting them to gray (KOdi or  VLC) makes almsot no difference. Only the brightness level seems to affect UI/subtittles but that has a very limited effect.

Light sensor is on and power saving to low.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisaLyd_12

Well after nearly 2 weeks of back and forth messages to Sony Support I have received this response:

Thank you for your patience.

After investigating further in your case in regards to your Sony TV, we can confirm that this issue will be resolved by the next software update.

We recommend enabling to automatic software download option on the TV by following the below:
Press on: (home - help - system software update - automatic software download).

Moreover, you can pin the support page below and check it periodically for updates:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xf9005 

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated as always.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Zeina

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

Sony Europe B.V.
Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW, United Kingdom
Registered company number: 71682147

profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

Sounds promising and thanks for the update. 

profile.country.GR.title
Johnickz

Thank you for your update! At last an aknowledgement and a fix (hopefully).

I ll check periodically and let us know, please do the same.