Join now - be part of our community!

HDR content darker and washed out

profile.country.GB.title
Pucker---Up
Explorer

HDR content darker and washed out

I've been watching some videos on my 55XE9005 using the SmartYoutubeTV app as discussed in the other large thread.

This is my first HDR experience but I'm sure something isn't right. When I load up the HDR stream and the TV changes to HDR mode (as indicated in the picture settings) it appears like the brightness drops and everything looks LESS contrasty and washed out. When I switch the stream over to the SDR 4k option and the TV drops out of HDR, the overall brightness is noticeably higher and everything appears more contrasty.

I have brightness set to max for both modes and am using the Cinema Home picture mode.

This behaviour is basically the opposite of what I expected from the HDR stream, I thought the whole point was it should be brighter, higher contrast and more colour pop than the SDR equivalent but that doesn't seem to be the case

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
sjd10001
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. Tried to take some pics and video to demonstrate but it was hard to get something that really showed the issue. 

My new TV is hooked up to Denon Amp with 4k Blu Ray player. When HDR is active brightness goes up noticeably using Blu Ray and Amazon native app.

Netflix and Disney specifically showing Dolby Vision content is what looks dull and washed out. So maybe it's just how DV is via these apps. 

All the 4K Blu rays just promote HDR and the difference is chalk and cheese compared to apps particularly Amazon that advertises content as HDR rather than DV.

Just assumed all HDR/DV/HDR10 content would look superior to standard 4k. That simply is not the case particularly via Netflix App. Ultra HD 4k in my opinion is much easier on the eye than DV. 

When I posted assumed it may be something in the settings but that may not be the case.