Join now - be part of our community!

Additional RAM in empty slot doesn't work

MaartenG
Visitor

Additional RAM in empty slot doesn't work

On my VAIO PCG-FX101 (built in 2000) there is 1 slot with 128 Mb memory module and 1 extra empty slot. When I insert an extra 128 Mb memory module (same type and brand) in the empty slot I expect a total of 256 Mb memory. But nothing happens, the amount of memory according to Windows stays 128 Mb.
The OS is Windows Millennium, original supplied by Sony on CD and updated from the Microsoft website.

I Appreciate all kind of help!
Thank you!
Maarten
Maarten

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Maarten,

welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

On my VAIO PCG-FX101 (built in 2000) there is 1 slot with 128 Mb memory module and 1 extra empty slot. When I insert an extra 128 Mb memory module (same type and brand) in the empty slot I expect a total of 256 Mb memory. But nothing happens, the amount of memory according to Windows stays 128 Mb.
The OS is Windows Millennium, original supplied by Sony on CD and updated from the Microsoft website.

I Appreciate all kind of help!
Thank you!
Maarten
Maarten

Have you checked that new memory module is correctly seated and clips have engaged. Here is a guide should you wish to check instalation process. :slight_smile:

MaartenG
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,
Thanks for your quick response. Yes I've seen the manual on Sony's website.
The module is inserted OK. I also changed the new module for the existing one to check if it is OK. It is.
The second slot (the originally empty one) just doesn't seem to work.
I have seen this sort of problem with older desktop computers running with Windows 98, on that motherboards you can not use different RAM modules, they have to be an exact pair.
But in this case, with the VAIO the modules are eaxctly the same kind. I have about 4 of these VAIO's now, laid-off by my company, one with a broken down harddisk. So that's where the RAM comes from, those notebooks were made in the same series.
I can try to update the BIOS, but -little problem- the VAIO has no floppy disk drive. So the BIOS update on the Sony site has to be copied on a CD-ROM. Maybe I try that too, in the meantime if yoi have any more ideas, they're welcome!
Kind regards,
Maarten

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hmm wonder if this is the nasty memory slot soldering issue a few FX/GR users had?

William
Visitor

Hmm wonder if this is the nasty memory slot soldering issue a few FX/GR users had?

Kee-Lo, I have found a Chartered Electronics Engineer in the UK who has the necessary hardware to fix them.

SEE THIS THREAD

It was the last post but may not be now :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah I saw, looks good

MaartenG
Visitor

I don't think it is a soldering problem.
Anyway I thought it might be the BIOS acting strange, so I made a bootdisk (CD, this VAIO has no floppy disk drive).
And flashed the BIOS. With the BIOS upgrade from the VAIO website (upgrade for ME).
And now I have a VAIO in a sort of coma :cry:
If you know how to put the original BIOS version back in, I'll be grateful. The original is R0211V0 (Phoenix Bios)
KBC version RK211V0

As William states on his VAIO Village, "now I have an expensive doorstop" .

Time to go to sleep, maybe wake up in the morning with the fairies having done their work....