Join now - be part of our community!

Can't stop A117 going to sleep

Redrose
Visitor

Can't stop A117 going to sleep

Hi, I have adjusted the Power Settings so that (at least I think) the system does not switch off screen or disk when plugged into the mains. I need this so I can e.g. set a virus scan to run late at night. Every morning I find the machine is "dormant" - disk is powered down and there are error messages about network being unavailable, virus scanner not having run etc. If I hit any key it all srpings to lfe but it's not what I wanted. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sorry if this has been asked before but without a search facility it's a bit hard to do a search 😞

13 REPLIES 13
TygerTyger
Visitor

I'm not sure what's in the a series power settings so I may be a little off, but it could be that you have only set the laptop to stay on if you are on battery? or just on ac? try setting everything to never turn off (that's system hibernation, monitor and hard disks) and see if it still does it. Also check your laptop isn't going into hibernation, there should be setting to simply turn that on or off. By the way if you are only running a virus scan you can allow the screen to go off, it doesn't stop the computer working. You just can't see anything.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Every morning I find the machine is "dormant" - disk is powered down and there are error messages about network being unavailable, virus scanner not having run etc.

Is the computer connected to a network? Perhaps the local drives have been scanned and the virus scanner is trying to scan network drives that are not connected, causing the error message that you can see.

The hard drive powering down is a normal power saving feature that won't affect a local scan as it will power up when needed.

tellingd
Visitor

Might seem obvious but what settings do you have on your screensaver?

kee-lo_

Make sure you setup the power settings in powerpannel too.

Redrose
Visitor

Thanks for all your replies. It seems that disabling Hibernate did the trick. I had already played with the Sony-specific power settings but it was obviously Hibernate. I came to it this morning and the scan had run.

tellingd
Visitor

Cool :cool:

kee-lo_

Thanks for all your replies. It seems that disabling Hibernate did the trick. I had already played with the Sony-specific power settings but it was obviously Hibernate. I came to it this morning and the scan had run.

Thanks for the information - it's always handy to know this stuff for other users.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Good group effort too :smileygrin:

kee-lo_

*nods head*