Join now - be part of our community!

D'oh - keys and spillage!

Alex_A115Z
Visitor

D'oh - keys and spillage!

Hello guys,

Massive problem, had my A115Z for a few weeks now and im very impressed even though i do miss the "nipple" style mouse pointer of my old Toshiba.

I spilt some Gin and Topic on my kitchen worktop while my laptop was there and it splashed onto the keys etc.

The laptop seemed to go crazy for a while, keys randomly being pressed, some not working etc - i was really worried. But now it all seems to work fine now except for the 6 keys down the left hand side of the keyboard are very sticky and the tab key doesnt work :cry:

Sometimes the shift key will stick down as will the caps lock key and the escape key! - As i use the tab key a lot, that fact this has just totally stopped working is a pain in the arse :thinking:

What i want to know is how can i take the keyboard off or something and give it a clean underneath! The keys dont come off like on a normal keyboard, please help :cry:

11 REPLIES 11
TygerTyger
Visitor

Unless you are fine with settings aside a full 24 hours to do this then just don't do it. I accidently pulled a key off my keyboard and never managed to get it back on. It can be done it's just very difficult. I'm not quite sure whether it would help or not anyway. Try setting a hairdrier to it's coolest setting and then blowing the air down across the keyboard. It should dry it out underneath the keys at least and see where you go from there.

Alex_A115Z
Visitor

Thanks for your reply...

Well i cant live with it so i guess i will have to do something!

I think i tried to pull a key off and that may be why the tab key isnt working but i cant remember which key it was.

How would i go about getting the keyboard off then? - I do have a spare laptop to use whilst im doing it.

TygerTyger
Visitor

I have done it accidentally, how you would do it on purpose I have no idea. :slight_frown:

nick_pan
Visitor

the vacuum cleaner enjoys sucking up keys...

heard of loads of people doing it while trying to clean the dust between the keys..

Alex_A115Z
Visitor

So what to do?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I guess you could try cleaning them with a damp lint free cloth.

ZyRaIN
Visitor

Okay, the thing I would have done in your situation is first off all see if it is possible to get the keys of and if not I would get in contact with Sony and explain my problem and ask them what to do, maybe send it in for a repair, I dont believe that using a hairdryer would help your problem it will keep sticking until it is washed off... Just my opinion...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Don't use a hairdryer, you might ruin other parts.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Hairdryer on a cool setting I said :wink:

Do all hairdryers not have an option that makes them blow just cold air? It has more uses than you would think lol.