Join now - be part of our community!

Desktop [:-/]

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Desktop [:-/]

Got a question guys, since I got my new desk top a couple of months ago, my old one has been gathering dust sat next to it. Me being a really nice person :wink: I've decided to give my old one to a friend.

Anyway, I was going to fully patch it up with all the latest security fixes but when I try to switch it on the bugger won't boot up. The screen doesn¿t even come on, all I get is a power light on the desktop, and the disc drive light is permanently on!

Any ideas?

55 REPLIES 55
faithx

hahaha, ok just been jigging along to the tune and realised I must have heard it as a very young child, way before my time :smileywink::smileylaugh::smileylaugh:
I read it was last broadcast in 1981, I was only 6!

robpaxton
Explorer

Ooh another kick in the head :laughing: Cruel cruel world.

faithx

hahaha, now you know I wouldn't "kick you in the head" :wink:

robpaxton
Explorer

I'm partially reassured so I'm going to have a cheap lager before bedtime to fully reassure myself :wink:

faithx

You do that "young man" :smileygrin: So much for me ripping my desktop apart tonight, oh well I'll do it tomorrow - night, night Rob :smileykiss::smileyhugs:

robpaxton
Explorer

Goodnight chuck, sweet dreams :hugging:

kee-lo_

I have watched Soap on Paramount - but it's only on during the day.

faithx

Well, I fairly firmly pushed on all the socketted chips and cards
I removed and reinserted the memory cards
I removed the interface cables from the drives
I cleaned all the dust out
Put it all back together and the bugger still didn¿t work :angry:

So I turned it all off and thought f*** it :smileyrolling_eyes:

I then realised that while it had been there gathering dust, it had been plugged into the mains all that time (but switched off) so for some crazy reason I thought it might be worth unplugging and plugging it back into the mains :bulb:

You are not going to believe this but having done so it¿s now working like a dream (explain that one Rob) maybe it was a build up of static electricity or something, but hey what do I know :smileynerd:

kee-lo_

OMG Faith, I bet you're kicking yourself now.
If only you had plugged it in beforehand, would have saved you hours.

Very odd mind you.

faithx

hahahaha, makes it sound like IT Supports favourite question: "have you checked it's plugged in luv?"