Join now - be part of our community!

Doom3?

milesgreen
Visitor

Doom3?

Has anyone managed to get Doom3 running on a VAIO?

I've got an A115Z, with a ATI Mobility 9200, running the official display drivers it came with (6.14.10.6430).

I just downloaded the recently released Doom 3 demo to see if it would run. I wasn't expecting it to, but it did! I have to crank the resolution right down to 640x480; Detail is set to low; Dynamic shadows have to be turned off. However, bump mapping and all the other effects are still turned on. And, all things considered, it looks great! :smileygrin:

Unfortunately, it seems to randomly crash. :cry: I've not yet got through the intro walk-about level (no bad guys yet). At different points it'll just lock up and freeze. I'm unable to quit back to Windows and can't force quit Doom. If I turn the power off, Windows hibernates, but it can't actually power down. So it then can't be turned back on! So I have to physically remove the battery and unplug the mains, then plug it back in. Then, as Windows resumes, I'm able to get the the Task Manager and quit Doom3.

So has anyone had better luck, with the demo or full version of Doom3? I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to start installing unofficial graphics drivers... so I guess I'll have to sit and wait till Sony bring out new ones. :slight_frown: Or maybe it's not a driver issue and it'll never work! :cry:

8 REPLIES 8
PhilN
Visitor

hi there,
my mate has it installed on his S1XP and it looks and runs fine on that, though he had the same crashing problem, basically the way he fixed it was to install the latest Omega Drivers, which sorted out a few problems with many games, mainly widescreen support..
hope that helps.

gordymckellar
Visitor

I've got Doom3 working great on my Vaio GRT896HP. I have 1024Mb RAM, P4 with Nvidia FX 64Mb. I have the game running at 1280 x 1024 resolution (all be it with some lighting and high detail switched off) I don't see any problems.

I am using the latest detonator drivers, XP SP2, and a 100Mb Ramdrive for my pagefile. Game is amazing. :smileygrin:

nick_pan
Visitor

see the two threads entitled 'Graphics' as well as 'Keeping your vaio in good shape' to ensure you playing with your vaios maximum performance settings..

Id advise you to stick with sony's drivers until an official release as the omega drivers can have undesired results on your vaio..
dont touch the overclocking option they have either

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hey Gordy glad to see you back man.

davids22
Visitor

hi i have a sony vaio pcg-k115m and it plays doom 3 great but it doesnt like it on the top resoultion

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That's because it's a notebook and not a desktop.

milesgreen
Visitor

Well, I've had a play around, updated just about every driver for everything, but still no joy. It works, and looks great, but then crashes every now and then. I'm not brave enough to update with the Omega drivers, nor any other unofficial drivers. So I guess I'll just sit and wait. I'll play Far Cry instead. And the new Medal of Honor expansion. That works a treat!

mystudio
Visitor

Well, Doom3 just runs fine on my K115s. It's in it's original state.....so, strange it won't run fine on yours........

Maybe you should consider a re-install, if you tried al other things? It CAN run on a 115.........