Join now - be part of our community!

DRX-700UL Double Layer DVD writer Info

DJRyu
Visitor

DRX-700UL Double Layer DVD writer Info

I want to know recording times & Tranfer Rates on this product using i Link?

The DVD+R DL (double layer) technology built into the drives offer almost twice the capacity of conventional writable DVDs, raising it from 4.7GB to 8.5GB. At a stroke, this doubles the recording time from 2 to 4 hours of DVD-quality video, while maintaining compatibility with existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD Video players. The huge increase in data capacity also means that users can have far better quality video recordings. Instead of 2 hours of standard grade, the Double Layer technology delivers 2 hours of double bit-rate high quality video. The single sided double layer structure of the DVD+R DL disc also means that users can record and play back the whole contents of a disc continuously, without needing to turn it over. Now with 1 DVD Dubble Layer Disc for FREE!
Double layer allows burning DVD's with total capacity of up to 8.5 GB
The external model offers both USB 2.0 and i.LINK connectivity
Stylish design and possibility to burn disks horizontally as well as vertically offers maximum flexibility and convenience
Bundled with Nero software suite.

This is a external DVD writer that can hook up via usb 2.0 or i link.

what kind of speeds of transfer am i looking at when i hook it up via i link?

Anyone got any idea's?

i know that recording times for DVDs arent that good anyway but using this will bottle neck my system & maybe take about 30min to burn a normal DVD ( Never Mind doing a Dual Layer DVD, that could take hours! )

:thinking:
thx peeps

9 REPLIES 9
reaper
Visitor

it doesnt effect the time weather it is external or not

i think you will find it runs on a 6pin which is a little faster than usb 2.0

i think ( im not possitive )

usb 2.0 12mb's transfer rate

i link 6 pin around 18mb's

i could be wrong on the exact time but i know that the i link is still faster than the usb 2.0 unless it is a 4 pin which i dont think it is

it could even be a 9 pin and they are the fastest external connection

me personally i would get the internal version which might i add is only 79.99

regards ben

DJRyu
Visitor

cheers mate, some nice spec there.

what speed of a normal internal drive then using serial?

also due to the design of my case i cant add another Drive as the hard drive has a weird Face plate.

ive just had a mess around with this DVD drive that is in mine & its like i could remove ( I Have ) but im not shure if i can put this face plate back onto my new DVDrw drive so my case looks normal again.

+ external can be move & transported around if i need it, Bit harsh tho for a extra £80 tho isnt it!

:laughing:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Actually USB2 is just a touch faster than iLink / FireWire.

Firewire is 400 and USB2 is 480.

That drive should work fine on your desktop Ryu

reaper
Visitor

yeah i made a little mistake on the speed lol

Interface Transfer Rate 800Mbps(FireWire800)/400Mbps(FireWire)/480Mbps(Hi-Sp.USB)

Data Transfer Rate Details FireWire 800 : 55 MB/s
Hi-Speed USB : 34 MB/s
FireWire : 35 MB/s

kee-lo_

No VAIO has firewire 800 yet, not sure if there's any PCI cards for PC yet either.

DJRyu
Visitor

still trying to find out if i can change then DVD in my case to a new DVD writer & add old face plate back on?????

it come off but dunt look like it will attach to new drive, dunno if its a straight swap internally either?

cheers 4 help so far, looks like that Firewire 800 is the shizzle.

still a big avantage having the external DVDr so i can burn Stuff on the go also, what with the DUAL LAYER also

FireWire 4 me to use it

USB 2 for mate's @ theres

choice's choice's

:cool:

kee-lo_

Go for external, then you can use it wherever you go, in the studio, at home at your mates place, wherever.

reaper
Visitor

ohh i should have said those arnt the specs for the drive

mentioned fire wire 800 with

the specs were from an external hard drive i had ( lacie )

and that indeed did have the fire wire 800 on it

i was just using them so you knew the speed

regards ben

DJRyu
Visitor

:tongue:

think ya twisted mi arm