Join now - be part of our community!

DVD/CD drive on A215M

profile.country.en_GB.title
samthoma0
Visitor

DVD/CD drive on A215M

Hello all, Problems, again, I am afraid, and this forum does not make very happy reading. DVD drive was playing music just fine, someone ejected it as it was playing, computer was quite warm, cd was warm when it was ejected (But it is not the first time this warmth has existed), and now, the CD/DVD drive does not work at all, it doesn´t read cds, dvds, cd roms, nothing, and when I click on device manager, it says all is working properly, when I check the drive itself, it always says it is full (i.e. pie chart all in blue). Really have no idea what to do, have uninstalled, reinstalled, etc, but no change. When I insert a disk it sounds like the drive is trying to read it, spinning it round, making beeps, etc, but then eventually gives up.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this? is there a solution that will not involve sending it back to Sony? I am in Brazil and it would be costly, inconvenient, and generally not good as i will not be able to back up any of my work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This doesn’t sound good! I think that most A215m’s have the DW-D56A optical drive fitted and a search of this forum will reveal that it is problematical to say the least.

There is a firmware update available on Vaio-Link, but I doubt that this will have any effect. Chances are the drive is dead :slight_frown:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thank you, but, shit! surely not, dead? what does that mean? do drives die?

On a regular basis; it is usually the first thing to go I am afraid, especially the DW-D56A. Is this the optical drive that you have? Try a search on this forum for DW-D56A and you will understand that you are no alone.

Sorry that I can not offer more hope but I am almost certain that a replacement drive is the only option.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
samthoma0
Visitor

Thank you, but, shit! surely not, dead? what does that mean? do drives die?

fangorn
Visitor

Hi there,
I've a A397XP and a DW-D56A. The drive does not work (definitively). I'll send back my laptop to sony. It had never burn a DVD correctly (CRC error) and I recommand to all users of this drive to do a back up of the restoration partition to CD, not DVD, because my restoration DVD (the 1st DVD I've ever burn with the DW-D56A) have 3 corrupted files in it !!!
Good luck

samthoma0
Visitor

obviously not fantastic news, but thank you anyway

Blkadda2005
Visitor

Sorry that I can not offer more hope but I am almost certain that a replacement drive is the only option.

Hi I have the same prob, except my drive does read sometimes eventually..( think the seek time is something like 2-3 days!!!).. dont play DVDs though just hear the drive 'whirling'... it actually got worsr after the firmware upgrade a couple of months ago..
I must say that im extremely disapointed with the A215m

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Blkadda2005 and welcome to the forum.

I must say that im extremely disapointed with the A215m

The A215 is a good notebook, but unfortunately Sony have chosen to incorporate a rubbish optical drive. Assuming that it is still in warranty, return it for repair and hopefully you will have a fully functioning computer.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
wheresmybeaver
Visitor

Sounds like it might need replacement alright, but just before you send it back you might like to try a cd or dvd lens cleaner first. Usually, the problems with the D56A drive are DVD related, though CDs still work. I think its unusual for the drive to have CD problems! Have you tried playing a DVD?

Also, have a look at the actual lens on the tray when you press the eject button; there might be something stuck to the lens (like toothpaste; true story, not sure how it happened!)

Good luck anyway

Dave