Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-R Vaio PCV-V1/G - newbie!

DavidH5
Visitor

DVD-R Vaio PCV-V1/G - newbie!

Hi all - I'm trying to use Sony Vaio PCV-V1/G to burn DVD-R for playback on Sony DVD player DVP-NC615 (multi-disc). I have created video footage from DV camcorder via Sony's DVD Gate Plus (easy!), then burned one .avi file onto a Sony DVD-R 1x to 4x disc as a test. The Sony DVD player says it cannot play disc. My instruction books suggests DVD-R is OK (though it says some DVD-R cannot be played back due to disc quality or the characteristics of the recording device ...) On playback through Windows media player on the PC all is OK (though sound is very poor quality). Playback through Quicktime does not work at all (just a few seconds then it stutters and I have to "end program". I really wanted to be able to transfer DV video footage onto DVD-R. Please do you have tips for a novice using the equipment I describe. Many thanks for your help,
David

16 REPLIES 16
reaper
Visitor

no you dont need to use premiere at all if you have nero thats the whole point in having it

right if you are going to be doing this often with your own footage then i advise that you just use premiere and click to dvd making sure that you are using uncompressed mpeg2 in click to dvd

but if you are using files from the net downloaded ect ect

then its good to use nero

nero vision and express with transcode any avi file to dvd in the burn process divx xvid ect ect

it doesnt have to be mpeg with nero vision or express it just has to be an avi file

note that the process of transcoding the file can take up to four hours (if the project being burnt is hour and a half )

for this i advise you get the vision package this will allow you to make a dvd title screen in seconds burn your avi file to disk while transcoding it,

hope you understand a little more about dvd file's (mpeg2)
these by the way can be burnt to disk using nero in about 10min
or vob or iso ect ect

regards ben

DavidH5
Visitor

thanks ben - that gives me what i need to know

DavidH5
Visitor

before I sign off another quick question: when I capture my video footage it splits the footage into individual files. If i convert these avi files to MPEG2 then burn DVD-R will DVD player play clips one after other or do I have to knit files together at some stage?? I do appreciate your help!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You have to make chapters for it to work like that.

reaper
Visitor

it depends how you decide to do it

if you edited it with premiere then no it wouldnt happen like that because you would have edited all together as a whole

but with nero vision it will play like that unless you merge the files together

this will turn it into one long stream

look as its yur footage the best thing to do no doubt about it

is to use your premiere, edit the footage export mpeg 2 then either use click to dvd or nero the choice is yours,

regards ben

DavidH5
Visitor

Easy! Burned a simple DVD last night, and looks great. From looking further at Click to DVD it looks like I can link up the camcorder to the I-Link on the Vaio and the Click to DVD will convert that with chapters straight to DVD. Menu on DVD will then let me Play All or select the clip / chapter I need. Very cool, and that way no need for Premiere or Nero (unless I decide to edit). Thanks for help guys. David

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No problem.

Now you have started you can now have a more in-depth play and learn new video techniques.