Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia 81.85 driver for FS series

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

Nvidia 81.85 driver for FS series

Well so far, Sony Vaio UK support have failed to support my new laptop, and it's failure to run Half Life 2 game. (it bluescreens with the latest provided drivers, and Sony are not going to produce anything newer).

Because Sony cannot support their own hardware, I took the task upon myself.

I have a working (for me), 81.85 driver set, based on the NVidia mobile reference drivers. I can now play Half Life 2 on my FS-29XP laptop without issue, and other games run at better framerates than before. As it's a proper designed mobile GPU driver, not a hacked desktop driver, it should be safer to run. (but no guarentees, anyone using this driver does so at their own risk).

Anyway, enough waffle, you can download the 25MB ZIP here:

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=3204125

On my system, I had to add a custom resolution, but I have since added the 1280x800 resolution to the default supported resolution list, so that should now be OK (but untested).

Any comments or bugs welcome, and I will try to update the INF to fix any remaining issues. email me:

vaiouksupportsucks@markgillespie.co.uk

The driver is for FS series laptops, with Nvidia Geforce GO 6200 GPU.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

Well 3 people have downloaded it. Any feedback? Did it work for you?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

------------

seb21__
Visitor

hmmm, I hope you know what you do. LOL

nodron
Visitor

Well 3 people have downloaded it.  Any feedback?  Did it work for you?

Hi I downloaded it yesterday, and I'm impressed. My Vaio FS115S could run games but would have difficulties running the in game movies etc.....

I installed this and it worked great!!!!!!

Has anybody reported any bugs yet????

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

There are problems with it running on batteries, with screen blanking, will look at the power management settings, see if I can sort this part out.

That's the only problem I know. It's fixed all my other problems.

I just wish Sony made the effort to do this with SUPPORTED official drivers, rather than ignoring their users.

NOTE: If these drivers fix any issues that are present in the latest official Sony Nvidia drivers, please raise a support ticket with Sony. The only way we are going to get updated drivers out of Sony, is if enough people raise support tickets about the issues with the current driver set (which is destined to be the final set, unless we can convince Sony that they are not good enough).

MaSteR
Visitor

Hey all. I play HL2 and am a HL (and its mods) person. It is possible to play HL2 and other source games by simply starting the game windowed and then making the game full screen in game (or leave windowed)

This can be done by adding this to your launch options.

-console -window

This can be found by opening steam, right clicking the source game you wish to play, clicking properties, clicking set launch options and typing the above. This has worked fine for me and I havent updated my Nvidia drivers. Desktop Short cuts to these games may not work but can easilly be remade.

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

Newer driver here: (81.87), http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=1978023

May behave better on batteries, as I used some of the settings from the Sony driver INF.

Comments welcome... Even better, would be for Sony to produce a offical driver..

seb21__
Visitor

I just wish Sony made the effort to do this with SUPPORTED official drivers, rather than ignoring their users.

Well, I am one of the ignored user.:smileyrolling_eyes:

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

How do you install the new driver?  There is no setup installation with it!!!!!

Same way as the Sony driver, use Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, click on the Display Adapters, then NVidia 6200 GO, click Update Driver, then Install From A Specific Location, and point it to the files extracted from the ZIP.