Join now - be part of our community!

PCV V1 USB2 digital freeview gadget...PCMCIA USB2 card power issues

cadamssony
Visitor

PCV V1 USB2 digital freeview gadget...PCMCIA USB2 card power issues

i have PCV V1
I bought a PCMCIA cardbus usb2 32 bit card and an MSI freeview usb2 digital tv usb mini receiver.
when i plug the USB2 receiver into the usb2 PCMCIA card I get .."power surge on hub port..a usb devicve has exceeded power limits of itd hub port

i dont know if updating the driver will make any difference. I couldnt work out how to do it...there are no instructions on the CD.

(note the USB digital receiver only works on USB2 thats the problem the pCV V1 only has USB 1....how do I get USB 2 on this Sony???? Can I get a USB card that slots in somewhere in the back..i read on forum that there is a slot? I read that this is possible, as it seems I cannot overcome the problem message)

19 REPLIES 19
cadamssony
Visitor

this was on the driver CD...any ideas?

******** Driver install CD ********

***** 1394 Card *****
\1394 driver

***** PCI Combo driver *****
\Via\VT6212

***** PCMCIA Combo Cardbus driver *****
\Ali\M5271

***** PCMCIA USB2.0 Cardbus driver *****
\Nec\uPD720101

***** Card Reader driver *****
\Neodio\ND3260\Win_Drv
or\ALCOR MICRO\Au6362

***** USB to IRDA driver *****
\SigmaTel\4200
or\prolific\pl2303

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You need a powered USB hub, as it's drawing too much from the PC

cadamssony
Visitor

i tried that but the PCMCIA card still doesn tget enough power...i used a power usb hub...then i powered the pcmcia card directly..thats didnt work too...it seems the PCV V1 cannot get vusb 2 in any way...any ideas??

William
Visitor

I couldn't get into Vaio-Link to check your V1 specs but a Google search suggested that your built in USB ports on the V1 are indeed USB 2.

Try plugging your powered USB2 hub directly into one of the computers USB2 ports and then plug your USB2 Mini receiver into the hub.

If that works and you have a vacant USB2 socket on your computer, then try bypassing the hub by plugging the Mini Receiver directly into the computer.

If my search was correct you do not need a PCMCIA USB2 card and that may be the cause of your problems. Especially as you already have a USB2 powered hub to extend the USB2 capabilities of your V1.

cadamssony
Visitor

I checked the specs for my PCV1/G
1 PC Card Slot(s) 4 pins i.Link Port, MemoryStick Pro Slot, 4 USB Port(s) (high / full / low speed )
is what it says on the specs on this forum...

checking on google it appears u r right there are indeed 2 on the left panel...but it seems they still not to recognise the digital MSI receiver so i cannot get freeserve tv stations

i noticed that u have "dead grx 316sp"
i HAVE THE SAME problem...what did u do about it...can one get a revamped master board somewhere...for not a lot?
rgds
charles

cadamssony
Visitor

ok now I progress further

i re read what u wrote and plugged in the powered usb hub to the one on the side and it said that the device would only work at the slower speed

"the unknown usb device is a high speed usb device and wiull fuinction at reduced speed when plugged into a non hi speed port"
the hub shown in bold have free ports that support hi speed usb device

so i unplugged it and tried in all the others ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

on one of them it says it requires 80% of the bandwidth....when i look into it it says 10% or 23 % is the alloweanxce ...is there a way round this?

William
Visitor

So you plug your USB receiver into a USB port on the computer but its not recogised. You may need to install the drivers first.

If you haven't done so already I would just run the install disc then switch off, plug in the card and switch on again.

Failing that what do the instructions say is the correct installation method?

My dead GRX got scattered to the winds via Ebay.

But if you go to VAIO VILLAGE in the last post (or near last now maybe) there is a guy in Peterborough who has the ability and equipment to resolder GRX memory slots, assuming that is your GRX problem.

William
Visitor

What happens if you plug your USB2 Receiver directly into a computer USB port and then switch on your V1?

I suspect that your powered hub is not USB2.

William
Visitor

I have a feeling they're using nearly 100% of the PSU's capabilities :slight_frown:

I agree but I have a feeling that the powered hub is not USB2, hence the message:
"the unknown usb device is a high speed usb device and wiull fuinction at reduced speed when plugged into a non hi speed port".

The computer is USB2 and so is the USB Receiver.:smileyconfused: