Join now - be part of our community!

PCV V1 USB2 digital freeview gadget...PCMCIA USB2 card power issues

cadamssony
Visitor

PCV V1 USB2 digital freeview gadget...PCMCIA USB2 card power issues

i have PCV V1
I bought a PCMCIA cardbus usb2 32 bit card and an MSI freeview usb2 digital tv usb mini receiver.
when i plug the USB2 receiver into the usb2 PCMCIA card I get .."power surge on hub port..a usb devicve has exceeded power limits of itd hub port

i dont know if updating the driver will make any difference. I couldnt work out how to do it...there are no instructions on the CD.

(note the USB digital receiver only works on USB2 thats the problem the pCV V1 only has USB 1....how do I get USB 2 on this Sony???? Can I get a USB card that slots in somewhere in the back..i read on forum that there is a slot? I read that this is possible, as it seems I cannot overcome the problem message)

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I have a feeling they're using nearly 100% of the PSU's capabilities :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

Could well be

cadamssony
Visitor

the install disc has the programe control prograsmme nothing else..it is all supposed to be revognised by the pc AUTOMATICALLY
BY THE WAY WHEN I REINSTALLED MY new drive i put XP PRO ON THIS MACHINE FROM THE DEAD SONY....
sorry about caps

i took away the powered usb hub cos i agree it is not usb 2
I then with extension cable attached it to the rear usb 2 slot and got the message about % bandwidth requirement, and there is no way to amend that ...also a while before before for one second a light came up on the usb receiver , that fails to come up.

i think that there are 2 usb2 slots on this pc cos in the configuration device manager it says "sis to usb enhanced controller"
it wont work in short

last option is there a free slot to put a usb 2 board in and if there is..would it work...i thin k i have to forget it!
so how do others get digital freeserve to work?
buy a new PC..a sony?

cadamssony
Visitor

the install disc has the programe control prograsmme nothing else..it is all supposed to be revognised by the pc AUTOMATICALLY
BY THE WAY WHEN I REINSTALLED MY new drive i put XP PRO ON THIS MACHINE FROM THE DEAD SONY....
sorry about caps

i took away the powered usb hub cos i agree it is not usb 2
I then with extension cable attached it to the rear usb 2 slot and got the message about % bandwidth requirement, and there is no way to amend that ...also a while before before for one second a light came up on the usb receiver , that fails to come up.

i think that there are 2 usb2 slots on this pc cos in the configuration device manager it says "sis to usb enhanced controller"
it wont work in short

last option is there a free slot to put a usb 2 board in and if there is..would it work...i thin k i have to forget it!
so how do others get digital freeserve to work?
buy a new PC..a sony?

William
Visitor

It would seem that the solution is a USB2 PCMCIA card because of the bandwith problem.

I am confused now :laughing: as to whether you have already got one, or is it not USB2?

I may be wrong but I don't think the V1 takes "normal" expansion cards like those used in Desktop computers.

cadamssony
Visitor

william thks 4 yr help and patience
yes i have one..plse go back to first postings..thats where i started....there were drivers...but i didnt know where to install them..loads of drivers...i listed them...i didnt know which to install and where
and the card is powerewd by a usb slot
not sure if the driver issue is the problem as there are standard drivers...which one out of the list in ewarlier response do i install and where? if thats the issue

cadamssony
Visitor

i think its a problem too cos i couldnt find a way of adjusting the low bandwidth on the card

cadamssony
Visitor

in the end 2 usb 2 pcmcia cards did not work...power to them was via lead from another usb port...i never got round to plugging in one of those wallsocket plugs to usb (ie power NOT from pc but from wall socket) into the pcmcia usb2 card....
maybe some other make of digital gadget would work on sonys ??? anyone any ideas or succeeded?
the one i got was MSI ina blue box but i went to computer fair today and pricesd are dropping week by week but if it doesnt work whats the use?

kee-lo_

The powered USB hubs I meant are the ones that plug into the wall

William
Visitor

As it seems to be be a bandwidth issue rather than a USB power issue I would give up.