Join now - be part of our community!

search bar fill with plus signs

profile.country.en_GB.title
terfineg
New

search bar fill with plus signs

My search and address bar fills with plus (+) signs on start and intermittently, any clues, BTW, have done a complete Windows install.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi terfineg,

Does this happen when you boot in Safe Mode with Networking? To select this boot option tap F8 when you see the Vaio logo.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
terfineg
New

Thank you for your reply, and yes, the problem occurs when using safe mode with networking.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

As you have carried out a fresh install of the OS that would seen to eliminate a software problem, assuming of course that this re-occurred before the installation of any third party software.

I would therefore suspect a hardware problem with the keyboard or associated cabling.

If you have a Vaio with a separate keyboard then trying a replacement would be an option to confirm this. If however you have a notebook or all in one with integrated keyboard then it becomes more complicated as I am not aware of any option to disable the keyboard other than unplugging the internal cable.

As a matter of interest does this also happen in a text application such as Notepad or Word?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
terfineg
New

Hello

Thanks again, it is a notebook I have, and yes, the problem also happens in other text applications.

BTW, would this problem suggest the beginning of a problem with hard drive. I ask this as I hear a low cliccking sound when I boot up and just as the +sign problem begins.

Many thanks

Terry

profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

It sounds like the + key is stuck. This is most likely due to physical damage or liquid spillage.

You can confirm this assumption by testing the keyboard outside of windows - such as in the command prompt after starting from the recovery discs or a live CD from a computer magazine.

If you confirmed the issue, and the rest of the system is running fine, changing the keyboard should resolve the problem. Changing the keyboard is reasonably easy for many models. Visit the VAIO support page, select your model and search for 'keyboard replacement' - if it shows the instructions for your model, you are in luck. Call the support hotline and buy a replacement keyboard.

If your model is a very compact, mobile model with more complex design, changing the keyboard yourself is likely to result in damage to the rest of the system, and leaving it to the technicians in the repair center is recommended. That will of course be chargeable, but should be much more economical than the loss of the unit.

Regarding the hard disc noise - all hard discs make noise in operation. When the heads move around to access information in different places - such as when starting Windows - you will hear that. If your hard drive has been damaged by being moved while in operation beyond what it can take, it will still make noise, but it will be less healthy and distinctly different in most cases.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I can’t think of any reason why the hard drive clicking would have any correlation to the plus sign problem. Hard drive noise/clicking during the boot process is normal.

The chances are that your keyboard will need replacing. If your notebook is still in warranty contact Vaio Link, if out of warranty then try one of Sony’s Service partners.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/asc.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-C2S_P

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
terfineg
New

One thing that might suggest it's not a stuck key, I think, is that it is always + signs, which require another key to be pressed, is this correct?

terfineg
New

Another development, my screen went black for a few second and then recovered, whereupon I got the following message.

Crashed.png

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Some Vaio notebooks have an extended keyboard with a single press + key but even if your model doesn’t have this feature the problem may be caused by a defective ribbon cable (between the motherboard and keyboard). I think that I am correct in saying that on most Vaio models this cable is not replaceable on its own as it is hard wired to the keyboard.

I have received the message “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered” on a few occasions. I doubt somehow that this is connected to the + sign problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat