Join now - be part of our community!

System failure

Nerm
Visitor

System failure

Hi can somehelp,

ive useing a VGN-FS115S lappy. when ever i download a Sony update and restart i get a system failure report saying windows did close properly and i have to choose and option to recover.
which are,
restart in safemode,
use a config that last worked,
reboot.
ive try'd all and only start in safe mode works and then i have to use system restore in windows to get the lappy working properly again. all othe updates from Windows update and microsoft updates work great so why am i haveing this prob with Sony.
thanks...

10 REPLIES 10
Jay1
Visitor

wht are u tryng to update from sony website ??

Nerm
Visitor

Ok sorry for the delayed reply, i try'd again last night and created a restore point first. i updated " Click to DVD Version 2.4.10 which is an automatic update and it did the same again , and there are also 5 other Manual updates which im not sure if i should update or not. what do you think, they are.
SonicStage upgrade program,
Firmware update for Sony DW-D56A,
NVIDIA GeFore Go 6200 Graphics Driver,
VAIO Edit Components 5.0.01 update Program,
BIOS Update. Thanks for your Help.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Avoid the BIOS and firmware updates if all is working well

heresjono
Visitor

I agree with keelo BIG TIME on this, if you can get to a stable state of affairs, avoid the VAIO updates for bios firmware etc like the plague (in fact avoid all of them if u can!). I've done a full recovery with my vaio TOO MANY TIMES since i got it, and each time has been immediatly after these updates. they are crap. VAIO knows it too...:smileylove:

Nerm
Visitor

Mmmmm thanks for your input, you would think that being a Sony update one would be safe to download. i think ill take your advice and scrub sony update altogether. maybe Sony should take more time to test there updates before issueing them.
thanks guys

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Well the beta tester offer was opened to them...............

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

hahaha you mean Sony don't beta-test their software?

Can't say I am surprised lol.

William
Visitor

Just to keep things in context, I have installed ALL updates ever offered for three Vaio's including Several Bios and Firmware updates without a single incident.

I admit DVD witer firmware seems a bit dodgy recently and Bios updates are risky (Great adrenaline rush when XP loads again though :laughing: )

My two dead Vaio's succumbed to hardware issues not Bios updates :slight_frown:

Just a thought, rather than using auto updates have you tried going in through VAIO-LINK as the Sony preinstalled links on Vaio Zone don't seem to be working too good recently, perhaps auto updating is a bit flaky too.

Nerm
Visitor

im starting to wonder wheater or not buying a Sony was'nt such a good idea, maybe i should have bought a Dell