Join now - be part of our community!

The well keeped secret about the internal PCI slot on PCG-GRT815E!!!

Grundman
Visitor

The well keeped secret about the internal PCI slot on PCG-GRT815E!!!

All the PCG-GRT815E has an internal mini PCI slot available which is not documented.

Does someone know if may I install a wireless mini PCI card? The PCG-GRT releases in USA has built-in the wireless but the European versions has the slot empty.

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would double check before installing anything.

Hi.

I own a Vaio PCG-GRT785E (european version).
This model does also have such an empty minipci slot.
I tried to install an Intel Wireless Pro 2200BG MiniPci card.
This card was then detected and installed but I am unable to establish a connection.
The System says that the card is turned off by the hardware based WLAN switch.
Unfortunately my model does not have such a switch.

I don't know what to do in this case and I am still waiting for a reply from Sony.

Do you have any ideas?

Before installing a WLAN card on your machine you should better check if it is equipped with such a switch!

Best Regards,

Tim...

William
Visitor

I am only guessing but there might be an internal and no doubt undocumented jumper or post where the switch would connect.

Have you tried installing software to control "on & off", maybe you could install the original software from the USA Vaio site for the relevant american model.

Try Vaio Village and follow the links to USA workshop manuals.

http://p200.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony

William

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Try Vaio Village and follow the links to USA workshop manuals.

MMmmm, Just had a look at the Vaio Village site and noticed they had a search facility and, dare I say it, a few more bits and pieces than we have.
I take it Sony doesn't share resources?

kee-lo_

It's an independant site ran by Ghost.

William
Visitor

Its a good source of info, they seem to do more internal fiddling, and the link to the USA Vaio site is useful, they seem to have a lot more updates than Europe.

BUT please make sure you have the right model (USA model) and use at your own risk.

William

kee-lo_

Yeah it's a good portal :slight_smile:

William
Visitor

After posting I went to check on available updates for the TR5MP on the Sony USA site & there were loads. Even though they were for the TR5AP (USA equivelant) they checked for the Vaio model they all installed.

Lucky USA Vaio owners.

Remember please, I used these updates at my own risk and so does anyone else.

William

kee-lo_

Yeah sometimes the US updates are very handy.

BTW congrats on 1000 posts William :slight_smile: