Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGC-V3S Network down after waking from sleep mode !!

picman
Visitor

Vaio VGC-V3S Network down after waking from sleep mode !!

Hi Vaio club. Here is the situation. Brand new VGC-V3S attatched to netgear Dg384GT router. When the system wakes from sleep, the network icon has red cross saying cable disconnected. The network port on the dg834 is up. There is no connectivity between the router and the Vaio.(Cable is in) Try to shut system down from this point and it stalls. There is some disk activity but it never closes down properly forcing a power button hold to get it to go down. On reboot everything is working.

Any body seen this before

ps hope I have posted in the correct forum

18 REPLIES 18
Piskie
Visitor

Hi Picman :slight_smile: grrr - then what can we do about it? Soo annoying to have problems like this on a new pc.. think the decaying piece of poo i was using was more stable!

My other major gripe is accessing the little cubby whole at the back right of the screen to plug network, usb devices and ariel etc in to... its near on impossible.. does the back panel remove to make this easier or is it jsut a case of balancing the screen on its head and hoping for the best like I have been doing? (surely not!)

Em x

Piskie
Visitor

Thanks rich - will give it a go!

picman
Visitor

More info. To try and prove wether this was a fault on the built in network port system was configured to connect to the Netgear dg834gt via wireless. Unfortunately this has made no difference to the fault. Also been informed that the clients previous machine VGC-V2 had the same problem but only happened aprox every 2 weeks. Slightly worrying that it's across 2 versions.

vaio-freak
Visitor

Hey guys,
I just wanted to confirm the same problem I am experiencing with my VAIO V520G model (it is a 20" US Model), I thought there was something wrong with the way I did some registry tweaking, so I had to do a system recovery.
Now after reading your posts here, I guess it is a common problem among VAIO V series. I am gonna do some research and see if VAIO Japan has some newer drivers.
Stan
P.S. VAIO VA series is not something I would think Sony would ever design..... I was disappointed the way it looks and kinda was happy that my V series rocks and made in Japan! VA's are made in China!

Piskie
Visitor

I have noticed now that this problems occirs if the hibernation mode is used OR just by leaving the PC unattended for a period of time. Really not fit for purpose in my opionion.. back to the dealer for me.

richardmford
Visitor

Hi there - I know the V3S isn't very good for access to the ports, but have you tried sliding the back upwards ? I didn't realise and was poking away trying to get the USB cable in when it suddenly moved.

I also have the hibernation issue, however I've turned it all off in the Control Panel, power management options - at least until I can find a fix.

Hope that helps:smileywink:

jvc
Visitor

Hi Picman,
Had a similar problem with V2S using a Wanadoo wireless broadband unit that came with its own usb receiver and software.Eventualy it would not work at all even after restarting the computer.
The thing that worked for us was to take the software of and not using their receiver and then reconfigured the internal Wireless by Internet options.
Hope any of this might have been of some help to you.

Regards.

Igloocharlie
Visitor

Network cards are designed to be on all of the time. This is because they can be started up when there is activity over network, known as wake on LAN. I think that this feature is not working properly and so is stalling the network card when resuming. Try flushing the Netbit cache by repairing the network connection.

btw, I have a DG834g router and have had problems with the network ports, i usuaully resolve it by moving the cable a round a bit. Also try rolling back router firmware to previous versions, version 3 especially I have found to be VERY buggy.

simon.giesen
Visitor

I picman,

well, I own the V1 computer and I experienced same problems by using the AVM FritzBox WLAN. I solved this issue by connecting the V1 via USB to the AVM FritzBox WLAN. Since then it's working fine.

Please try the AVM or a similiar router to assure that this is a problem with your network card/chip.

cu...