Join now - be part of our community!

XP Pro install on A517B & cant get Application Recovery DVD to work

css_jay99
Visitor

XP Pro install on A517B & cant get Application Recovery DVD to work

Hi all,
I have just bought a SONY VIAO A517B wth windows XP Home.
My first steps were

(1) create an image of the recovery partition with true image 9
(2) Burn the recovery & application recovery media DVDs
(3) wipe the HDD clean and using the steps I found on this forum to install Windows XP Pro

All these went fine.:smileygrin:

NOW MY PROBLEMS ARE
(1) when i open windows explorer, the memory stick drive (sony) logo/icon is missing. not a problem but it will be good to have it. How do I put the logo/icon file to resolve this

(2) I cant seem to be able to use the Application disc to install the VAIO application. Basically the disc will not start up. I looked at the file structure and it looks like the only visible executable on there is autorun.exe which i double clicked multiple times and would never start up. I would not have thought the problem is the disc bcos i created 2 recovery discs ( just in case !) and both behave the same way.

Am I missing something ?. I have already installed the sony shared library (it does not show up in add/remove programs) but no luck

(3) I installed dvd decrypter and it fails on startup complaining about the dvd drive - any ideas ?

please help !!! :cry:

thanks

css_jay99

7 REPLIES 7
William
Visitor

Number1.

The memory stick icon is gone. Hopefully, it will be restored by simply placing SNYMSICO.DLL in C:\WINDOWS. THis will "probably work if you have an "unknown" Icon in My computer.
There was a recent post with a download link. Failing that I can email it to you if you contact me via the link below.

If you currently have a Generic Drive Icon search through the Registry for the drive name eg Memory Stick or whatever you have called it. The key entry will have a reference to SHELL32.DLL which is where the Generic Icon comes from. Change this to C:\WINDOWS\SNYMSICO.DLL.:smileywink:

Before changing anything in the Registry - Back it up. If you are not comfortable with this don't do it.

Further reading if needed
ANOTHER POST

Number 2

I don't think you will ever get your recovery disc to run now you have changed to XP Pro. There was another recent post with a link to a remarkable file called KCAP.EXE , a Sony file which allows you to unpack all the Applications from your recovery disc. It works -I tried it and I like you cannot use my recovery disk any more.:smileywink:

Number 3

Sorry can't help with that one :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You can download Msicon.zip from here - this contains snymsico.dll.
Then, as William said, it is probably a case of editing the registry. Have a look at one of his previous posts.

As you have installed your own copy of Windows you may not find DriveIcons in the Registry, I didn’t and used the following procedure instead:

Copy ms.reg, ms-mg.reg and snymsico.dll (from Msicon.zip) to C:\Windows\System32.

Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\DeviceGroups\MemoryStick.

Double click on Icons and change
%systemroot%system32\shell32.dll, -xxx
to
%systemroot%system32\snymsico.dll

Do the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\DeviceGroups\MemoryStick-MG

Exit Regedit, and re-boot – the icon should be back (it worked for me).

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
William
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Memory Stick Icons seems to be a hot topic recently :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It certainly does William!

It’s strange how these sort of topics seem to come in waves:smileyconfused:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Rich (912)

I don't know if it's just me but your link does not seem to work, for some reason it adds 20% to the end of the HTTP link & states page not found!

Hope you don't mind me posting working Link :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Ooops:smileyblush: , problem corrected!

Thanks Thalamus:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tursiops
Visitor

Rich (912)

I don't know if it's just me but your link does not seem to work, for some reason it adds 20% to the end of the HTTP link & states page not found!

Hope you don't mind me posting working Link :slight_smile:

THE LINK DOES NOT WORK!