Join now - be part of our community!

Apps moved to micro SD-card not available when USB-device is connected via OTG ?!

Arch5tanton
Visitor

Apps moved to micro SD-card not available when USB-device is connected via OTG ?!

Hi everyone,

I have read that the micro SD-card will get deactivated once a USB-stick
or -HD is connected via OTG.
Is this true? Can this be behaviour be changed?
Would this be different if I installed AOSP on the Z4?

Thanks a lot for your help! Using SD-card and external USB
simultaneously is vital for me as I need to copy photos from an external
stick / SD-card to the tablet's SD-card for backup-reasons.
Thanks again and best regards
8 REPLIES 8
Rickard
Master

I just tested it here in a Z4 Tablet and you have access to internal storage, the SD card and the external USB-drive at the same time.

I can't remember hearing of what you describe on any of our products actually.

Arch5tanton
Visitor

Hi Rickard,

thanks for your reply. I must apologize, my description was not very specific.

If you could have a look especially here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/z4-tablet/help/usb-support-t3151411

and here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/z4-tablet/general/usb-otg-support-t3147871?

Users describe that, in case apps have been moved to the SD-card, once a USB-device is connected via OTG those apps became inaccessible. In some cases (apps try to run in the background) a crash of the Z4 is reported.

Someone is even quoting a reply from Sony support according to which the SD-card is meant to unmount on OTG-connect.

Could you possibly test / confirm / deny this?

Thanks a lot for any hint and best regards

Rickard
Master

I see. That is something i have heard of (it's been reported here on our forum as well) and it has been forwarded internally.

But as i understand it, it's not when you connect the USB-drive it may happen. It's when you then disconnect the USB-drive.

If this happens for you i can at the moment only recommend that you don't move apps to the SD card. Z4 Tablet has about 20GB of available internal storage so i think in most cases it's not needed. Also note that moving an app to the SD card only moves the apk-file and not other data like obb.

In case this has happened, try restarting the tablet.

Arch5tanton
Visitor

Hi Rickard,

thanks for your reply.

Any idea whether this behaviour might be different when installing AOSP and/or using the Link2SD-app (so apps are not moved to SD but rather linked to a 2nd partition on the SD with ext4-formatting) ?

Thanks again!

Rickard
Master

I'm afraid i don't know how this works in AOSP or with Link2SD. They require unlocked bootloader/root access.

But it has been forwarded internally and i will let you know as soon as i hear anything.

Arch5tanton
Visitor

Hi Rickard,

thank you for offering further information and for your great and fast support on this!

Best regards.

Amonkeykong81
Visitor

Hi I'ma owner of a z4 tablet and i got these problem - i've try different microsd cards kingston and sandisk and I got the problerm if an OTG cable ( tryed different cables) is mounted, - the apps on sd card are not available and even if I disconnect. It needs a restart to brng them back on screen.

Further I reset my Tablet to factory two times but the problem remains.

VG4
Visitor

Has this problem been fixed? I want to use the z4 tablet to process pics from my DSLR without hauling a laptop between continents, so a USB card reader would be the thing.