Join now - be part of our community!

AVI playback support?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_IE.title
Visitor

AVI playback support?

Does anyone know if there are any plans to support avi playback on the Sony Tablet?  It's frustrating.

I have lots of avi files on my media player, but my tablet can't play them. It's probably the biggest flaw of the tablet.

I know I can download a third party player, but it can't find the files I have across my DLNA systems.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

I can read avi files from other computers on my private network.

To do that, I combine a file manager (File manager HD or other) to reach the shared files* on the network and a video player (as MX Video Player or Mobo Player) to play them, as I have the choice to use the one or the other when I try to play a video file...

Hope again it helps...

* the source directories must be shared.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
bennybuche
New

I can read avi files from other computers on my private network.

To do that, I combine a file manager (File manager HD or other) to reach the shared files* on the network and a video player (as MX Video Player or Mobo Player) to play them, as I have the choice to use the one or the other when I try to play a video file...

Hope again it helps...

* the source directories must be shared.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

an alternative for the filemanager (that reads shared network drives with samba protocol)

is to use Upnp or BubbleUpnp apps. They read DLNA-shared media from servers on your network (which you asked about in your post), and not any other, non-media shared files.

In addition, you will need the aforementioned videoplayers to make DLNA-upnp players work.

My experience is that when you set MXPlayer to use S/W  encoding, it plays more avi files (that can contain video in various codecs and of various framerate and pixel format and ratio) than the H/W encoding, though not all. 60 frames/sec files are not played. 30 frames/sec files are, apparently.

profile.country.en_IE.title
Visitor

Thanks for the workarounds folks.  Both work fine.

Just a shame that Sony haven't included avi support directly. Maybe they can include it in a system update or something.

bennybuche
New

In the french speaking forum, someone from Sony told us it was perhapsfor a next version ...

profile.country.it_IT.title
brorm2tsmac
Visitor

Although my post is too late, I hope it could be useful to you.

What you should do is to convert your AVI video files to H.264 MP4 with 1280*800 or 1280x720 video resolution with a Video Converter program. And then throw the converted videos to Sony Tablet S for further playback.

What I am using is this Video Converter program: Brorsoft Video Converter. It's able to convert TiVo recordings, MKV, VOB, WMV, AVI, FLV, F4V, etc. and AVCHD, MTS/M2TS,  MOD, TOD, VRO, MOV videos to H.264 MP4 with different video resolutions for further playback on iPad 2, Apple TV, Sony Tablet S, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Asus Eee Pad Transformer and so on.

The best important factor appropriates me to choose it is its large variety of video formats. I feel it is very dependable and does exactly what I need it to do. Overall I am very happy with it and feel it was a good investment of my money. So I thinks it's worth to try and you can have a free trial at first.

Regards,

Bejanman Carol

bennybuche
New

From my point of view, it would be better to not have to convert the files. The Sony video player should be adapted; it would be the more accurate way to solve the issue...

If you have to convert files anyway, I can also recommend a free software working fine for me: Freemake

I hope Sony will hear us and add as much file formats as possible to their player :slight_smile:

profile.country.EE.title
Muralim
New

hi man,

Please forgive my direct complaint, this product you recommended that  I bought too, but it was really very terrible to use, often inexplicable collapse, then I tried other products to solve AVI Playback issues, wondershare https://www.facebook.com/wondershare/ and Video Converter http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/avi-on-android.html, they are really convenient.