Join now - be part of our community!

BKB50 Keyboard Problems

philr
Visitor

BKB50 Keyboard Problems

Hi Guys

Had the Z4 tablet for few days which is working brilliantly and im loving it, but the BKB50 keyboard that came with it doesn't work.

Ive have paired and connected the kekeyboard via both NFC and Bluetooth, and it will connect for a few seconds and let me type about 3 letters or use mouse for few seconds before it disconnects then it will not reconnect until I unpair and pair it again only for same thing to happen again.

I have tried the keyboard with several different devices and the same thing continues to happpen.

Anybody had this issue?

Also does the power button do anything? As I am unable to turn the keyboard off and the white light continues to flash in random blinks. I left it overnight it unconnected overnight but is still flashing now.

I have tried, long presses, short presses, individual button, both Bluetooth and power button together and pressing mouse and normal keys and still cannot get it to stop or change its blinking.

Im positive the tablet is OK as paired other devices to test ans all worked perfectly.

Thanks in advance.
35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
thejudge
Explorer

@pdes1 wrote:

While we are on the subject of the BKB50, firstly I would say that I am blown away by the functionality.  It really is close to a PC.  However, I would like to reconfigure the shortcuts on the bottom left hand corner of the screen so that I open my favourite apps, not those that Google want me to use!

Has anyone found a way to do this?

Thanks

Click on the icon on the bottom far left to expand the popup menu (like a windows start menu).  Then click on the edit icon at the top of the popup.  You then get a configuration screen where you can edit the shortcuts. 

drlmiles1
Contributor

I hadn't realised about the configuration options at the top of the menu. In settings, I note a current firmware display, and the option for a firmware update. Sony, it would be really great if the timeout could be configured to be longer, as I am frequently finding the keyboard has switched off while I am typing, then looking something up, then returning to typing. An option to increase the timeout to 10 minutes for those who wanted it would be really helpful (to me, at least).

Other than that, the keyboard is accurate and a pleasure to use.

pdes1
Visitor

So, what does the white flashing light mean?  Mine never seems to go off.  TBH, I haven't got my head round the two switches!  Instructions are naff!

drlmiles1
Contributor

@pdes1 wrote:

So, what does the white flashing light mean?  Mine never seems to go off.  TBH, I haven't got my head round the two switches!  Instructions are naff!

The flashing white light means it is in standby mode & looking for a keypress on the keyboard - the latter will then power up the keyboard and link by bluetooth to the tablet. If it annoys you (it doesn't seem to use much power) then one flick of the sliding switch will turn it on (continuous white light), and a second flick of the switch will turn the keyboard off (no light showing). The keyboard will then not work, whether you type on it or not, until you flick the switch again. 

If the keyboard is active (white light continuous) and you do not use it for 5 minutes, it will switch to Standby mode again

Hajfenix
Visitor

Hi

Found this thread and must say I also love this combo.  But is there anny way to make the 5 min time to standby longer for the keyboard.  During a workday it becomes a litte annoying since it goes to standby a little to quick for my workpattern.  

//E

Stephan_M
Visitor

Just curious, for what do you use the keyboard? (I mostly work with Powerpoint on a PC, coz the Powerpoint-App is not slightly comparable to Powerpoint at the PC... So maybe you have something to inspire me? Slightly_smiling_Face )

Tags (1)
Hajfenix
Visitor

Right now everything.  

I bought this in an atemt to see if I can drop the PC copleatly.  We use Google for Work at my company,  also a Google partner,  so the Powerpoint part is not abig issue,  so far I can do alright with the Office Apps from M$.  Also our other office tools are also cloudbased.  Some issues till to get over, but most is from reflexes and ways that I'm used to do things that is different on a tablet.  And they will go away over time I hope :). 

But still durin the workday the keyboard goes to standby to often and it is annoying when I start typing and have to stop for a while untill it responds.  Also I have a bluetooth mouse connected and a display over MHL when in the office and then when the keyboard goes to standby the nice toolbar that it add to the UI disaperes,  also making me have to klick home and appdrawer to acces an app since the shortcust in the drawer disperes when the keyboard goes i nto standby.  

But stil this is a slimed and slick workenvironment now.  Also having cromecast in all the meetingrooms makes this platform realy sweet. 

drlmiles1
Contributor

I agree with what you have said - the keyboard with this Tablet adds enormously to its functionality, compared to, say, my previous Z Tablet. I had to get a separate keyboard for that, but the microsoft one I bought stayed on until I closed it - far better than the 5 minute timeout the BKB50 has. My only hope is that as the firmware of the BKB50 is upgradable (Start menu/Settings icon), I hope that a variable user chosen timeout could be added - 10 or 15 minutes would be much better for me.

epchoi
Visitor

Does anyone know how to turn off the vitural keyboard when the physical keyboard is plugged in?
Phoenix230
Visitor

Hi any one else having this problem

the keyboard works fine for a an hour then all of a sudden you can type anything

im on my second keyboard now and same fault