Join now - be part of our community!

Can't do Screen Mirroring (miracast) and WiFi connection simultaneously

SOLVED
thanawat
Visitor

Can't do Screen Mirroring (miracast) and WiFi connection simultaneously

Why is it that when I use screen mirroring (miracast) it have to disconnect me from wifi? All my samsung product phone + tablet can use miracast and wifi the same time. Is this a software bug or hardware limitation cause if its hardware limitation i can return it before my refund period runs out. Its pretty usless for me to do screen mirroring without access to wifi (want to stream video of internet from wifi to my TV).

35 REPLIES 35
0ctane
Visitor

Considering this was one of the main reasons I purchased the Xperia Z I find it unacceptable that you can't use the miracast and WiFi at the same time. On top of the original cost of the phone, I have invested in two charging docks, several cases and most recently a miracast receiver only to find that this feature is not possible. I also bought a Bluetooth keyboard with a view to browsing the internet whilst connected via miracast. Why does the Xperia t and HTC one etc support this feature but not the Z?

Sorry...meant to post this in the Xperia Z section....although it is the same issue with the tablet/phone.

antoinebu
Visitor

http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-center/faq/can-device-simultaneously-connect-regular-wi-fi-network-an...

it looks like this  is an optional hardware feature benneath the direct wifi certification so if our devices haven't the optionnal hardware there will be no workaround ever .

this would also explain why other devices are able to do so (even with xperia Zu. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2395375 )

fredsundy
Visitor

i was quite happy for my new tablet but really disappointed now. 

As said previsouly, Wifi direct compliant devices HAS to allow double connection (not an option). See link previsous. It makes it more unacceptable. So i ask sony to refung for not conform material and i will buy samsung phone and tablet for price of my xperia Z. I was though to buy also ps4 but i am very worried by sony attitude ! You want change your customer point of view ? Just honor what you are selling !

vetterlin
Visitor

Sooo, installed Cyanogenmod 10.2 (based on Android 4.3 which supports WiDi/Miracast natively) and see there:

WIDI/Miracast and the connection to my home WiFi Network work simultaneously.....!!!

So Sony, two lessons for you here:

1. Get of your collective and get Android 4.3 going without nerfing perfectly fine core features

2. If you're going the forum/community way, provide correct information (aka really ask your developers) and don't spew half informed nonsense/play the information hiding game...

To everyone else here: give them, or they will never learn!

PS: Who wants to try, google Cyanogenmod  ("Pollux" -for LTE variant- or "Pollux_Windy" -for WiFi only variant-). Warning!: Possible Warranty void when flashing custom ROMS

HP909
Visitor

Sony needs to listen to their customers - but they are too arrogant to think otherwise. I wish I had bought only Samsung products for all my needs. Sony is losing it and refuses to listen to its customers.

ZeeTablet
Visitor

Has this been fixed with the 4.3 update? Or is there an app that can now be installed that will mirror with WiFi because we're running 4.3?

camorr
Visitor

Does this affect the tablet z as well? Thinking about getting the PVT3000 To connect to a Samsung smart tv.
Rykel
Visitor

UNFORTUNATELY, I have this problem as well on Android 4.3. No internet if I am screen mirroring.

If the CyanogenMod can do it on the Xperia Z as mentioned in the comment above, then is it not apparently a SOFTWARE problem with Sony engineers?

Since we are all waiting for Android 4.4 on this phone, I hope that Sony you are listening! Please enable Miracast WITH internet wifi !!!

p/s. On a positive note, this phone is one of the few devices where Bluetooth keyboard, Bluetooth Mouse and Wifi (internet) work perfectly together. So, give it a good push in 4.4 and make all Sony Z owners like us proud.

Rykel
Visitor

NO and NO... but since CyanogenMod can do it, maybe Sony can make it happen in the 4.4 upgrade?

Rykel
Visitor

Based on what you posted, I sure hope that this is a case of Sony engineers' SOFTWARE incompetency, because it means that this problem can be solved in the coming Android 4.4 upgrade. This issue has made me acutely aware of NOT buying any devices until it has the "CERTIFIED" logo... and the upcoming Xperia T2 Ultra may have the same issue too!