Join now - be part of our community!

Power\lock button does not working

3omda619
Visitor

Power\lock button does not working

Dear Sony, 

I bought the Xperia Z Tablet LTE 16g about a month ago.

Now the power button and the headphone port are not working anymore and I don't know why.

Today my battery drained and I can't turn it on again and I don't know what to do.

please HELP!!!!!

73 REPLIES 73
leeming
Visitor

After only 5 months I am experiencing the same issue. Suddenly after using the audio jack the power button not working and no sound. I have read this thread and understanbd the issue is a design fault. Sony needs to replace every single tablet sold with this weakness.

I bought my premium price tablet, Xperia Z LTE, for around AUD 650 (not cheap!!) in February 2014 through Brisbane airport online. I live in the Solomon Islands so there is no warranty support. I am not expecting any miracles, but will add this to my other experience with Sony products : I had an Xperia Go phone and after only one year the touch screen became dead around the edges and rendered it unusable. repair cost was same as buying a new one.

I can't access any support from here so will have to follow the advice to open it up myself and pop the connector back into place.

Thanks Sony./ I won't bother you again.

Tags (1)
leeming
Visitor

@circuitsolver

I have same problem. I bought mine online via an Aussie airport dutyfree store and live ina country with no Sony support so it is a real hassle to send it in to Fonefix, although it is only 5 months since new. Can I ask you a few questions?

the tablet battery ran flat and there was no way to turn it on - question 1 is, do you know a way to power it on without using the button? I managed to get it to turn on by pressing the back panel close to the power button (after reading the posts of others)

Question 2 is, where exactly should I press on the back of the case - without knowing exactly where the loose connector is

Final question, if I take the plunge and remove the back cover, I have seen the breakdown video but it is not clear how to free it - is he using a razor blade or such ? Or just prising it off with some flat object? It cost me AUD 650 and I dont want to rsik damaging the internals.

Right now, I have it running permanently on, I managed to get the audio back using an app called SoundAbout which allows you to switch media output to the speakers

Tags (1)
eklem
Visitor

You need a spudger made of plastic, but hold on just for a little while. I'll re-open mine (never really glued it together), so I can meassure where the contact is and you can try to press it back into it's socket.

I got mine turned on again by connecting it to my laptop with a USB-cable, and the desktop app installed on and running. I'll see if I can find the time later today.

edit:

The application is called Sony Bridge on Mac and PC Companion on a Windows PC.

leeming
Visitor

Hi elkem thanks! I'll get one and use as last resort. Right now the tablet is all working with audio restored via the SoundAbout app, but I can't tgurn it on if the battery goes flat.

Looking forwards to the measurements of where to press. Would it be OK to lay the tablet glass downwards on a wooden table and press down with a thumb on the location of the connector? Does it click into place giving me feedback?

So PC Companion should be able to turn it on if it shuts down? I do use that software and couldn't imediately spot the feature that will force a power up.

really appreciate your help, thanks!

p.s. I contacted Sony Support by Chat and they refused to accept thsi is an issue. I guess then that we have to accept that this kind of flaw is not an issue for their quality standards, and we can expect similar s**t when purchasing their products. As stated above, I had similar disappoontment with an Xperia phone that I had only 12 months before the touch screen developed dead areas.

toondeluxe
Visitor

Hello everybody,

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Discussed with sony support and made a coule of rest to factory defaults/SW repairs without success.

They finally told me to bring the devince to a reapir center (still under garanty). Hearing about the bad reputation of the after sale service ("hey, your device went underwater, wanranty void"), I tried the "press carefully next to the Headset connecter" hack from WhiteHerring, and it worked perfectly. Just like that. Gently pressing the screen and bottom side between my fingers.

I got back both power button and sound. 

Thanks to the people that suggested that

leeming
Visitor

yes, it worked for me too eventually. But it took some pressing and initially I feared I'd crack the screen or damage the unit. Fnally I got it to work - thyen it popped out again. One more go and it seems to be holding.

My lesson - this model is so vulnerable to this problem due to weak design in that area, I now regard the device as having wireless connections only. i NEVER plug in an audio jack or USB cable if i can avoid it - I use the charging dock always, and Bluetooth as much as possible for file transfer.

Its' a great tablet and I'd buy another one for sure, but hope Sony take note - I wonder about the new Z2 tablet as it is apparently even thinner and lighter.

Tags (1)
RIghnatios
Visitor

This happened to me at the beginning of this year ~January only 2 months after I bought it. Took it in March to get repaired. Was still under warranty, so I didn't pay anything and got my tablet 3 weeks later. We are now December... so 9 months later and it happens again... out of nowhere. Sound doesn't work through headphones or speakers and the power button doesn't work... I can't believe this tablet was priced the same as the iPad when it first came out. It's really dissapointing, I really thought I was buying a good quality tablet.

I can't wait to see how much it will cost to repair this time without the warranty :S.

applealltheway
Visitor

I recently changed from apple. I brought the experia phone and tablet, within two months both have broken. Same problem on both, and this isn't even the first time. SONY have go so down hill it is not true. The products are absolute rubbish. They break and have endless software and hardware glitches. Absolute cheap tat now. Both are going back tomorrow and I'm going back to apple. The tablet is a disgrace, it not even designed well. Copy and paste function is a ball ache to use, and screen shots don't exist unless you want some tag added to your images. Rubbish, utter utter rubbish. People don't spend £500 on this rubbish. It is just not worth it. 

Galin
Visitor

Thank you I solved my problem with start button same way. The connector was out of his place. Galin

Tags (1)
Divadgr
Visitor

Hi Eklem Did you ever measure where exactly to press? I would like to try this press to fix solution before opening my tablet.

Tags (1)