Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with charging Z2 tablet - led blinking

elmo626
Visitor

Problem with charging Z2 tablet - led blinking

My Z2 tablet (Wifi version 32 GB) has a lot of problems related to charging. When turned on and connected to charger, the red led is blinking. Maybe 1 second on, a half second off. The charging icon on the screen comes and go in the same pace, as do the text 'Charging' / 'Please connect your charger'. Also because of this, the screen never turns off. Even with minimum brightness, this means that if I leave it passive on the table, the charge level is going down. If I turn it off to save power, it does not power off, but restarts. I also get a message with something 'The charger provides less power than used'.

Sometimes it locks up, and can only be started with Power and volume button pressed at the same time.

It worked OK for less than a week.

I have tried :

Original charger/cable and standard 1,2 A Android charger/cable from my Nexus 5 => No difference

Charge via USB or original Sony DK39 charging stand => No difference

Factory reset via settings .. backup/reset etc. => No difference

Lame generic advises on Sony support forum => No difference

7 REPLIES 7
Gregpin
Visitor

Same problem here with sgp511

SergioPL1
Contributor

This tablet uses about 0.5 up to 1.5 A during full load (without external devices). If you have problems to charge it (even with screen on) from provided 1.5A charger (either through USB or magnetic connector) I would suggest to contact with repair centre or Xperia Care to arrange inspection. 

I have no problem with charging during web browsing, even playing movies through Movies app (you may have problem with charge level using software video decoders, they can take up to 2 amps).

poosterl
Visitor

I have the same problem with my brand new Z2 tablet.
No problem while charging via the 'magnetic connector'.
Orange LED blinking etc when charging via USB.
Have you been able to resolve this?
JPN
Visitor

Around Xmas I had same issue but looong charging solved that time.

Now the problem came back. When charging level went under the 14% I pluged in, just gotting the nag not enough power. After shutting down and charging over nigth ch.level was 9%. Vol-Pwr soft nor Hard button reset didn't help, nor I got the connection via PC Companion.

Now the unit (32GB Wifi) is in the service, I let you know the out come.

Rostan
Visitor

Just hope you have a warranty. These are defective tablets. My 16GB LTE has the same issues. Only can get it charged to 70% and can't use it while on the charge. It's a piece of junk. Unfortunately I don't have waraanty because I bought it from Amazon and missed the no warranty part. 

Rostan
Visitor

First they can't be used when charging because it makes the touch screen malfuntion. Then the magnetic charger stops working. Then it has connection issues with the USB charger. Then you can only get it to charge to 70% even if you turn it off and charge it for a week. 

profile.country.FR.title
dsman19
Explorer

July 2018 I have the same problem. I  bought the original DK-39 and it literally discharges the Tablet.  I had tried the small magnetic charger two years ago. I had the same problem but I think that it was not a sony product.  Now that I decide to buy an original sony product I still have the same problem. I have so many sony products at home. I was thinking of buying a new phoneas a Sony Fan but i think is time I start looking at the competition for a new phone where accessoiries will be really compatible. The Tablet is fine. Sony repairs are good and thrustworthy but I am really deceived with the magnetic charger. Still looking for a solution though.