Join now - be part of our community!

Self cracking screen?

Tomz0r
Visitor

Self cracking screen?

A few hours ago I plugged my charger into my Xperia Z4 tablet and half an hour ago I wanted to check my mail and suddenly there is a huge crack on the screen. It stars just below the volume down button, at the top of the speaker(? Not sure what it is) and goes all the way across to the front-camera.
My tablet was charging on my desk and I'm 100% sure that no one has used it or could have damaged it.

Any advice on what I should do next?
26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Tomz0r

Contact your Local support to get it inspected, there aren't self cracking screens but it doesn't hurt to get it inspected.

Ramsap
Visitor

Mine has just done the same thing at 2 weeks old. I don't know what the SONY policy is on this but will undoubtedly have to fight it on my  return to the UK shortly.

Respig
Visitor

Same here. It worked totally fine until the Touchscreen started to malfunctioning. I didn't think much about it and just restarted the tablet although this never happened before. After the restart I couldn't even enter my PIN anymore and I suddenly noticed a crack which starts in the middle right side going accross the screen to the lower left side. The Tablet is now unusable for me Slightly_frowning_Face It never dropped accidently nor did anything else happen to it. I never saw that happening to any other device which I had in my life. Very annoying so far.
Dalzhel
Visitor

My tablets screen cracked without any direct usage it was sitting on my desk charging. i also had the tablet in a case to protect it as well as a 9h screen protector and the screen cracked behind it. i contacted my local merchant for a repair as i had it for 3 months and could no longer return it. as i expected the repair is not covered. If there is a problem with the screens sony needs to take care of it without cost to us. its not our fault they cheaped out on the screen on a 700 euro tablet.

dont bother contacting sony support they will just give you the standard answer of its not covered under the warrenty and so a direct quote from their support this problem is not big enough for us to do anything about it. so basically it would take a class action lawsuit to get anything done with them.

this is normal from their support if any of you have ever played everquest and delt with their support its standard operating procedure. or """""Working as intended"""""

Respig
Visitor

Yup, I will have to pay the bill by myself too. This is the first and the last time I used a Sony device (and really thought I'd bought something with quality...Even my 3 year old cheap Huawei Mediapad didn't cause so much trouble). Thank you very much Sony.
BrianHolt
Visitor

Same here -- screen cracked randomly while using.  No drops or knocks.  Started below power/volume across.  Only realised it was cracking when screen became more and more unresponsive.  Held it up to light and voila! Very fine single crack across screen.  Waiting for response from reseller but not holding my breath.  If I get a poor response I plan to take this to consumer affairs as its not fit for purpose re random cracking....

xtunridax
Visitor

Hi,

This morning my screen cracked as well on my Z4 tablet, again didn't drop it and it's just a hairline crack like in the old models they used to repair, so far got a quote of £250 plus, but this should be covered under warrenty for hairline cracks, as if it was dropped the damage would be much more worse and showing damage to the outside area it was dropped on which mine doesn't and picture can be provided for proof.

Sony you need to stand up and admit once again to selling tablets/phone with crap screens.

Customer rights here we come!!!

Maxxxxy
Visitor

Yep, same here, tablet never dropped, the screen cracked whilst being charged, it worked perfectly, I plugged it in, woke up in morning, the screen is cracked, and the screen can't be used at all, I rung Sony, told screen is not covered by warranty, I paid almost the cost of a new tablet to get it fixed, two months later, while sitting on the table overnight, exact same thing happened, NO CRACKS , NEVER DROPPED .......I rung Sony, they basically called me a liar, ...... I've managed to get 6 months use out of a thousand dollar tablet, that has a self destructing screen...... i feel ripped off, for buying such a piece of garbage,,,, seriously sSPEECHLESS

OMoses
Visitor

MAN the same thing just happened to me. Woke up in the morning to my alarm and was seriously annoyed since it wouldn't turn off no matter how hard i swiped the alarm screen. I put it down to the sensitivity issues i had always struggled with, as the screen was never the best for me. It had always required a firm touch to work.

Anyway, I woke up and saw a massive crack running across the whole screen. It really surprised me since the tablets case was closed, but I didn't care since I had a screen protector on. I peeled off the screen protector only to realise the crack was BEHIND the screen... I stared with shock and dismay for a while, then just gave up on the tablet. It had already caused me enough trouble ever since I had bought it, so I determined to just remain inconveniently tablet-less for the rest of the year and buy an Apple (Yuck I know) product for next year.

It brings me relief to see this forum, as I was under the impression I had accidentally broken it somehow. However I really doubt Sony will even acknowledge this problem, let alone fix it. No wonder they're losing their market share so rapidly... They can't even keep loyal customers who have been with Sony for years buying all their products, let alone bring in new ones. Sincerely hope Sony is willing to act out of line and do something for its customers for once. It really would be a shame to finally drop Sony after all these years.