Join now - be part of our community!

System UI stops after 6.0.1 update

Paulpaul1308
Visitor

System UI stops after 6.0.1 update

After updating to 6.0.1 marshmallow a few weeks ago, now I get an error saying systemui has stopped working and have to reboot the tablet. This happens at least once a day.

I have obtained a crash report.

Others have claimed that it was due to an SD card but I removed that same it still happens.

Is there a bug in the marshmallow update and if so when will it be fixed?

Who wants to see my crash report?

21 REPLIES 21
Paulpaul1308
Visitor

I tried using a different computer. On that computer Xperia Companion didn't work because MFPlat.dll was not found - you have written software that assumes that the Media Feature Pack is present, and it isn't for N versions of windows. In any case I don't think the device drivers were working, even though I installed them (Xperia_Z2_Tablet_driver_R2) as specified on your site.

I tried on the original PC a few times after a restart of the PC and repeatedly obtained the same error message as before. It would help me if you you tell me what this error message actually means - does it mean that there is a problem with the tablet, with the PC, or with Sony's server?

Didrik
Enthusiast

As it works right now, this file is required for Xperia Companion to work as intended. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this might cause and I can of course forward this as feedback but this is how it works right now. This file can however be downloaded for free directly from Microsofts website: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145500

Do note that you do not need to install separate drivers to connect your device to your computer.

Paulpaul1308
Visitor

It appears that your software is really terrible. Despite their being text on the top left of Xperia Companion saying "please connect your Sony Xperia to the computer with a USB cable", other instructions on how to use the repair tool explicitly say not to connect.

With the tablet not even connected I get the error "UELoginUnknownError UE_104". I did once get an error saying that there were no ports available, presumably at your server.

I'll ask for a third time - what does this error mean? It is apparent now that it means that there is a problem connecting to your server; should I have some sort of login set up, and if so how?

Paulpaul1308
Visitor

One more question: how does this differ from performing a Factory Reset?

Didrik
Enthusiast

The message means that the Sony Mobile Update engine login failed. What should sort this out is to simple restart your computer, I's also recommend you check your antivirus and firewall settings to make sure Xperia Companion is not blocked or denied access in any way. It's also worth trying to connect your computer to another network.

How a software repair differs from a factory reset is that it will more or less reinstall the tablet and install all available updates. If the above doesn't help, try to perform a factory reset of your tablet.

Paulpaul1308
Visitor

I reset my windows firewall and mader sure that I added it when asked:

firewall.jpg

Paulpaul1308
Visitor

It still didn't work, every time I get the error:

Software repair error

An error occurred while repairing your device.
Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact Sony support.

Error code: UELoginUnknownError
UE_104

Paulpaul1308
Visitor

For now I can live with it by just sending myself an email. In the longer term I have just ordered a Pixel C.

Paulpaul1308
Visitor

Final update: after ordering the Pixel C I thought "hang on, this is all about Inbox notifications". So I uninstalled Inbox then reinstalled it. I haven't had the problem since then, so I cancelled the order. If the problem comes back I will let you know. If it doesn't then four things: 

- you should know that this is a known problem 

- your UI people should know that they shouldn't tell users to connect their device when they shouldn't 

- your software team should know that they shouldn't give opaque error messages when there might be a reason - although in this case there was no reason from my end for the error as far as I can tell; there might have been a reason from your end though.

Most importantly, when somebody says that they are getting an error from your software, tell them what the actual problem is, even if you lose face by doing it. This might not be what your masters want you to do but it is being honest with your users. As far as I can tell your users aren't the most important people in your lives. This is how you lose customers.

Gterpstra
New

Hi,

After unplugging my Xperia Z2 from the power socket to charge the tablet it doesn't work anymore. It starts up but after a few seconds the message " system- UI has stopped" appears. And the screen turns black and can't do anything. What is wrong and how can it be fixed. Tablet is just 2 years and 3 months old.