Join now - be part of our community!

Thinking of using a 2.1amp AC adapter for my Xperia Tablet Z

SOLVED
MIZEMIKE
Visitor

Thinking of using a 2.1amp AC adapter for my Xperia Tablet Z

I use my tablet mirrored to a large TV for presentation purposes which means I have it plugged into the AC adapter at the same time using it, and I know that the OEM AC adapter does not keep up with power drain or charging the battery well in use.

I found online a charger that says it works with my tablet and is 5 volts with 2.1 amps; my question is, is this going to be safe for my tablet.

Thank you for any help with this question!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rickard
Master

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

This should not harm your tablet but also note that the quality of the USB-cable affects the charging. I recommend that you use a good cable such as the one that came with the tablet.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Rickard
Master

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

This should not harm your tablet but also note that the quality of the USB-cable affects the charging. I recommend that you use a good cable such as the one that came with the tablet.

MIZEMIKE
Visitor

Rickard, Thanks for your replay and yes, I will use the OEM USB cable.

Thanks again.

Koptan
Visitor

Hi MizeMike

your device will Acquire the current it needs from the charger, for ex; if your phone / Tablet charges at 1Amp, and the supply is a charger with 2Amps, the connected device (phone/tablet) will only draw 1Amp of current, it will not pull the 2Amp 

in your case it's safe , also for another reason, a USB port  has voltage standards, which means a Specific Voltage (5.1V) should be available and validated to make sure it's working according to obligated standards

the more expensive you get your charger, the more it will meet the standards , not all chargers provide a clean output

it's safe and will not harm your phone/ Tablet!

BR

Koptan

Koptan
Visitor

one more Piece of advice

yes the shorter the cable the better the charging action and battery life

i recommend as a general rule to use OEM cables, if this is not an option , use short cables for charging, especially if you are charging from a power bank / portable battery

the shorter the better 

BR

rocket99
Visitor

I think it goes without saying that you will get better charging efficiency with a shorter cable. As with all electricity, the longer the cable, the further the electricity has to travel, losing power as it goes. Direct current is especially affected by current loss, so using a shorter cable surely relates to the time it takes to charge your device.

rocket99
Visitor

PS... HeresH a site you can use to check voltage drop. I checked one of my GOOD quality cables, and the results were staggering!!! I lost 25% of my voltage over the 10 foot cable, of a GOOD cable, with the AWG printed on it! So I would definitely be sure to use a cable that is as short as possible unless you research the resistance over the distsnce. You will likely find that it isnti even going to charge your device while in use! Lol, so get a good, quality cable and check it with this calculator...

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=212.9&voltage=5&phas...