Join now - be part of our community!

USB OTG and MTP

renhayashi88
Visitor

USB OTG and MTP

Finally took the plunge and got myself the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact early this year. It has its ups and downs, but generally, it is the best tablet I've ever had. 

One of the reasons I got this tablet was so I could transfer pictures from my Nikon D60 directly into the tablet via USB OTG, eliminating the need to lug around a laptop when I travel. Imagine my surprise when it couldn't read the DSLR as an MTP device. I was very disappointed since I know that Android natively supports this feature. Instead, I have to transfer the photos from the camera to my LGE Nexus 5, then transfer them from the smartphone to the tablet, which negates the convenience that it should have provided out of the box. 

I know that USB OTG works because it is able to read and write over USB, as well as connect to cameras that are detected as USB Mass Storage. Unfortunately, my DSLR is a relatively old model, and therefore cannot be set to be connected to other devices as USB Mass Storage, only as MTP. 

I've tried installing several applications that are supposed to view photos from a Nikon device, to no avail. 

Has anyone found a way to make the tablet detect and read MTP devices via USB OTG? People have warned me against Sony devices, but I took a leap of faith. Was I mistaken? 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

Based on what I've read, the issue could be the cable or even the best external hdd
SergioPL1
Contributor

I can't tell you anything about MTP but generał practice with expensive DSLRs is to avoid connecting them to anything.

Grab yourself a Tiny USB card reader for the card type D60 uses and use it to transfer pictures to your phone. I use this technique with Z-series and performs fine.

Just avoid multicard readers because they may use more power than OTG is able to deliver.
Dyor
Visitor

I successfully connect Canon 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III and whatever else, up to 1DX and Nikon D4s, to my Z1 Compact. No problems, WTFIDW? By the way, Nikon D60 is not of expensive kind of DSLRs and never was.

op: you need to install Google+ app or PhotoMate R2, they both support cameras as MTP devices. Although it seems that someone decided to remove camera import feature from G+ in Lollipop.

ololpop
Visitor

Has it been recognized before?

What operating system (computer are you using)?

Does it charge it, even though its not recognized?

I would check to make sure you have the correct drivers installed and that you are using a data transfer cable, although the cables may seem to be a like some are not capable of transferring information and are meant only to charge the device.

Post back so I can further help you. Use Nikon D60 Manual that assists you.

Have a great day!