Join now - be part of our community!

battery heat issues with latest system update

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

battery heat issues with latest system update

XPERIA PRO-I

Have submitted below to Sony support.  wanted to make others aware to either confirm if they have also updated or avoid if they havent yet.

=======================

installed 61.2.f.0.191 earlier today.

device now immediately heats up in normal (light) use when it never did before so that it is too hot to hold. battey also dropping about 1% every minute or so.

i have the battery care set to always and 80% and usually keep the charge between 50-80% so the battery has always been taken care of. this has literally only started immediately after this last system update.

please investigate this URGENTLY - consider pulling the update so others cannot install it, investigate and send out a new version ASAP.

This has made my phone unusable. I do not want to either burn myself or risk battery/phone damage or even fire! I am therefore powering my phone off.

Again, I repeat that this immediately happened only after the system update.

67 REPLIES 67
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

hI @bozuk2021 and anyone else having these issues after the May update.

It seems the ONLY way to fix it for now is by performing the software repair mentioned earlier on in this thread.

It is unlikely there will be any other update issued soon.

profile.country.CZ.title
zavovi
Explorer

Hello,

Today, I got this issue on my Xperia 1 IV. I have the empty icon in apps and heating. I have the update from Monday, but the issue was discovered today.

profile.country.GB.title
Chazarlie
Explorer

Can also confirm that it is affecting Xperia 1 IV after the May 2023 update, have the overheating issue as well as the ghost app.

Not overly enamored about the software repair fix, so will keep an eye on this in case of any other fixes!

profile.country.GB.title
duncy21
Explorer

I have exactly this issue.

Updated my phone to build 64.1.A.0.913 last night (as per the update).

As of today i left home with 50% thinking none the wiser.. then got to work 30minutes later after just listening to some music by the 3.5mm audio plug.. and it had gone down to 27%. 

Now its going down 1% almost every minute if i didnt have it on wireless charge to keep it on.

What an awful update.

To clarify.. i have a Sony Xperia 5 IV 128GB. Purchased December 2022.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@jumpsuit 

> It seems the ONLY way to fix it for now is by performing the software repair mentioned earlier on in this thread.

> It is unlikely there will be any other update issued soon.

Enough is enough.  This is now unacceptable.  It's clearly not an isolated incident:

XPERIA PRO-I
Xperia 5 iii
XPERIA 5IV
Xperia 5 IV
(unknown)
Xperia 1 IV
Xperia 1 IV

(unknown)

I called right from the beginning that Sony needed to pull the May system update urgently.

You need to escalate this for us NOW.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@bozuk2021 

@zavovi 

@Chazarlie 

@duncy21 

Welcome to the thread and thank you for confirming you've also had this issue.

Sony Support asked me to use the Support app, click the three dots top right, then Send Feedback.

If you are willing to do this (you have to accept to send "personal data") then this may help Sony to diagnose.

Receiving multiple reports may also help to convince them this is a widespread issue.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
arokub
Explorer

Try this:
"Try disabling play store, then long press on that app, it should disappear. Then enable play store again"

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-remove-an-empty-app-icon.4591307/

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@arokub 

This has indeed allowed me to remove the blank app.

A follow up to that suggestion on the link you posted notes:

"Thank you very much. The same thing happened to me yesterday. Moreover, triggering an abnormal consumption of the battery."

Currently waiting to see if this will be the outcome with my phone.

If it is then huge kudos to you and Doom Slayer on that link for hopefully preventing us from having to do a software repair.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

Unfortunately some follow-up posts on that thread indicate the blank app may come back:

> I tried this but after restarting my phone, the empty app came back again

> This morning it's happened again, but i din't restart my phone. I had to remove the empty icon again.

One person points out that xperia home crashed:

> In fact, there was a system update on May 29th. As you said, after clicking on the empty icon that led to the play store (returning an error) and returning to the launcher folder that contained the aforementioned app, xperia home crashed.

with a previous comment noting:

> it's adviced to temporary switch to 3rd party launcher. 

if this is indeed due to xperia home then the finger is pointing clearly at Sony rather than Google/Android.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

In battery usage, for Manage battery usage Xperia Home is currently set to "Optimised"

There's another option which is "Restricted" with comment:

"Restrict battery usage while in background. App may not work as expected. Notifications may be delayed."

Might help?