Join now - be part of our community!

5ii - DCIM folders have gone since last firmware update?

profile.country.GB.title
ezy2ezy
Contributor

5ii - DCIM folders have gone since last firmware update?

When plugging in to a w10 pc the phone has gone from opening a location "XQ-AS52" with 2 folders "disk" (sd) and "Internal shared storage"  and being near instantly ready to open internal folders. 

now clicking on internal goes to window with a slowly building green bar "device is currently busy and it's contents may not be fully displayed.  If another application is copying data to of from the device please wait for it to finish and then retry" pops up.

If it does eventually show folders there are only a few yellow ones, and a load of folders called 1, 2, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 15, 18, 27,38, 42, 45, 51, 61, 65, 67, 73,82, 92, 97 a4 !!   and .trashed png files not in a folder but just in the top level view of the internal storage. 

eventually DCIM appears but it's empty.     There are 5 yellow folders called "files" and 2 called "land" 

If I go into the phone, and google photo app, the photos seem to be stored under the location

"/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/100ANDROID... "

????   (thanks inadvance)

The folder either ends up "This folder is empty"

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
ezy2ezy
Contributor

Yesterday Xperia Companion had software repair greyed out (as was the folder browser) 

Today it is being offered,  I am giving that ago...  hopefully before the ISP kills my service before they do work in the area!

** I aborted when it downloaded but said I would lose all data not on the SD card...  not the day for that drastic move***   any other fix?

I took all the photos off yesterday (as I do once at the start of each month, the month before, hence the discovery of it being completely different to 12 months before)  but had to send all the photos via photo app library to my Google Drive, then send it from my Google Drive to my pc one drive via a zip download via the PC chrome browser...   not what I want to be doing forever more! 

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

It sounds a right mess. If you've got all your pics off, get off any other data you want to keep and then give it a software repair imo.

If it's caused this kind of corruption in the folder structure, god knows what else it's done.

profile.country.GB.title
ezy2ezy
Contributor

It is a bit sluggish when typing too.  The odd hiccup freeze

I will have to do a repair and reload tomorrow.   I can't guarantee having internet access today and am out for much of it. 

profile.country.GB.title
ezy2ezy
Contributor

Does anyone know what happens to all the banking apps and Google Pay when doing a repair?

Am I going to have to deregister before doing it and then re-register them all?   That is a load of work with a lot of time having to wait for departments who are not back to 100% work yet if so. 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

It's either or.

Either stay in this mess or get your Xperia in a fresh and smooth state.

Read the tips here.

Resetting a smartphone is far more easy than resetting a Windows computer.