Join now - be part of our community!

TV setup for HDR

profile.country.GB.title
penfold72

TV setup for HDR

Hi.  I have a Sony KD 49 XG8096 Flat screen TV.  I got SkyQ a while ago, and always noticed pictures were a bit oversaturated.  We got used to it, but last week I had a play with the picture settings, and noticed Contrast was set to 100%.  I have had a play with the picture settings, and got a resonable picture, but wondered if anyone had any insights on setting up one of these TVs.  I have a high speed HDMI cable connected to the high speed port, and enabled enhanced contant for that HDMI port. Sky Q is set to 10bit on the UHD setting.

Also I downloaded one of the nature programs in the HLG format.  When I started to play it, the screen went blank for a couple of seconds, and the picture came on followed by the sound.  Whenever I tried to fast forward/rewind screen again goes blank for a couple of seconds, and then I press play happens again.  I also notice the colour of the picture is a little more muted when playing the HLG content with the HLG setting on under advanced picture menu, video options Is this normal. When I select HDR10 is very over saturated and gaudy.

Sorry for all the questions and if they sound basic, Im a but new to all this 4K stuff. don't get me wrong the image quality is much better on 4K, just wanted it the best I can get.  No instruction manual came with the TV apart from a quick setup guide.

Also does the tv tell you if you are watching a SDR 4K picture or an HDR 4K picture

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

RE HDR - when playing your source / content press action menu on the remote, then select picture. The picture settings will tell you if HDR is on or not eg brightness will be at max for HDR

profile.country.GB.title
penfold72

Thanks.  I have seen the HDR symbol.  Why is the brightness at max on HDR.  Also contrast is set high. Are the HDR settings independent of the non HDR settings. I have now selected the HDR setting in advanced picture settings to auto, it was set to off.....

Is there no instruction manual for this model.... Online help us basic at best.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Brightness is always max on any HDR tv

RE manuals - I'd google for setup tips for your model on avforums, rtings etc

The key thing with the sony android tvs is that the picture settings are different for each input and app, so you need to be watching a source or app and change the settings.  They are different for SDR vs HDR.  If you end up changing a lot of settings I'd write them down or take photos in case of factory reset. 

profile.country.GB.title
penfold72

Ok. Thanks.  Good to know that in hdmi2 that's set to advanced mode, the sdr settings are different to the HDR settings. Brightness us at 49, contrast 89, colour temp set to expert1, mode set to auto(24p) Everything else I left as standard. On HDR, the only difference is brightness at max. Would anyone do anything different....

profile.country.GB.title
Billbir
Explorer

• I have just got my Sky Q 4K HDR box and am testing it with Gangs of Lemur my settings on my Sony 55XD9305 show it is displaying 4K but not HDR. Settings under Picture for HDR video show “not available”. How can I tell that I am watching 4K HDR? I am using ARC could that be a problem?
profile.country.GB.title
penfold72

Firstly are the hdmi ports you are using for skyq set to enhanced. Check in the menu, it's under inputs I think. Sky should then output 2060p 10bit. If it's not outputting this get it to reset up its display outputs fro  the settings menu. Go to the picture menu and to where HDR is and set to auto. Once viewing in HDR if you select picture on the quick menu the gray band at the top will show HDR. 

profile.country.GB.title
Billbir
Explorer

Hi penfold 72,
Thanks for your detailed reply. I had done everything that you suggested but although the picture is clearly brighter, and in 4K,  I can find no reference to HDR. Also, I have to manually switch back

to Cinema Pro, as the picture  in HD is unwatchable if left. I would have thought that Sony would automatically pick up the appropriate format and display it. I could not expect my wife to switch between formats. Do you know how I can tell that My Sony model displays HLG. I know from the specs that my Sky Q box supports it, but do not know where it is on the Sony.
Thanks for your help.

Bill Birchall
profile.country.GB.title
penfold72

You need to set your hdmi ports to advanced in the settings menu. Follow the guide here

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00141961

Sent from my Huawei Mobile
profile.country.GB.title
Billbir
Explorer

Thanks for the link. Very helpful and much appreciated.

Bill