Join now - be part of our community!

TV setup for HDR

profile.country.GB.title
penfold72

TV setup for HDR

Hi.  I have a Sony KD 49 XG8096 Flat screen TV.  I got SkyQ a while ago, and always noticed pictures were a bit oversaturated.  We got used to it, but last week I had a play with the picture settings, and noticed Contrast was set to 100%.  I have had a play with the picture settings, and got a resonable picture, but wondered if anyone had any insights on setting up one of these TVs.  I have a high speed HDMI cable connected to the high speed port, and enabled enhanced contant for that HDMI port. Sky Q is set to 10bit on the UHD setting.

Also I downloaded one of the nature programs in the HLG format.  When I started to play it, the screen went blank for a couple of seconds, and the picture came on followed by the sound.  Whenever I tried to fast forward/rewind screen again goes blank for a couple of seconds, and then I press play happens again.  I also notice the colour of the picture is a little more muted when playing the HLG content with the HLG setting on under advanced picture menu, video options Is this normal. When I select HDR10 is very over saturated and gaudy.

Sorry for all the questions and if they sound basic, Im a but new to all this 4K stuff. don't get me wrong the image quality is much better on 4K, just wanted it the best I can get.  No instruction manual came with the TV apart from a quick setup guide.

Also does the tv tell you if you are watching a SDR 4K picture or an HDR 4K picture

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
penfold72

No problem....  Have you managed to get HDR working?  Note Sky Q does
not use HLG10, but HLG.  I have all mine set to Auto so the TV selects
the correct settings. I also havemy TV set to custom picture settings,
not the standard settings....

Chris

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
profile.country.GB.title
Billbir
Explorer

Hi Chris,

I think that I have HDR but have to manually change to HDR Video and then back to standard as the picture is not watchable if in HD. Very frustrating that the whole process is so labyrinthine. Netflix , Amazon Prime and YouTube display 4K HDR fine, it is just Sky Q that is flaky.
Interesting point you make about Auto and Custom. I have mine on Standard and Auto 24. Does that make a difference?

Thanks for your help.

Bill
profile.country.GB.title
Billbir
Explorer

Morning Chris,

Do you touch HDR Video in your set up or just rely upon Auto and Custom. Also, where does it show anywhere that what you are watching is in 4K HDR. You know in Netflix and Amazon Prime Video because it clearly tells you but it does not seem clear on Sky Q.

Thanks

Bill