Join now - be part of our community!

cpu fan

profile.country.GB.title
rookies1241
Explorer

cpu fan

should the cpu fan on my laptop be running all the time? i dont think i ever seen or heard it come on but not sure. how can i find it working right or not?

cheers

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Some notebooks have noisy fans and some are very quiet, I never hear mine but I know that it is working because when the CPU temperature rises to 56 deg C it soon reduces to 54.

Download
MobileMeter and check out the CPU temperature.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rookies1241
Explorer

Well mine is saying

800mhz which cant be right as i have 1.7 gig hd
and it 58 for temp

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If your CPU control is set to ‘Adaptive’ then you may very well be running at 800mhz until such time as more processing power is called for. Try playing a video and see if the speed increases to 1.7.

Which model Vaio do you have?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rookies1241
Explorer

I have the

Sony Vaio VGN-FJ1S

I just have never seen the fan moving at all. Even when I boot up the fan does not move at all. How do I see what my cpu is set at. As the bios is nothing there it very basic

cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rookies1241
Explorer

Gone up to 64 no fan on hmmmm

profile.country.GB.title
rookies1241
Explorer

spoke too some as soon as it went up to 65 fan came on to drop it to 58. cant i set it drop it cooler?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

How do I see what my cpu is set a

Right click the power/battery icon in the system tray and select Edit/Create Profiles…

Then look under System > CPU Control., for the profile that you are using. You will probably find that it is set to Adaptive which is the best setting for keeping temperatures down.

If your temperature is not rising above 58 I would guess that the fan is working. Run a few applications and monitor the temperature, it should rise and then reduce when the fan kicks in.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

spoke too some as soon as it went up to 65 fan came on to drop it to 58. cant i set it drop it cooler?

In that case all is working as it should. The processor fitted in your model has a critical temperature of 100c, but passive cooling will kick in before that (probably around 85C) and slow the processor in an attempt to reduce temperature.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat