Join now - be part of our community!

Desktop [:-/]

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Desktop [:-/]

Got a question guys, since I got my new desk top a couple of months ago, my old one has been gathering dust sat next to it. Me being a really nice person :wink: I've decided to give my old one to a friend.

Anyway, I was going to fully patch it up with all the latest security fixes but when I try to switch it on the bugger won't boot up. The screen doesn¿t even come on, all I get is a power light on the desktop, and the disc drive light is permanently on!

Any ideas?

55 REPLIES 55
robpaxton
Explorer

If it's been sitting there all alone for a long time then there is a good chance that the BIOS backup battery has died. You may need to enter the BIOS to set the hard disk drive detection to auto.

You could also try changing the battery.

Any beeps from the machine?

faithx

Yeah but surely the screen would still come on, I don¿t see how I can go into the BIOS and set the drive if I¿ve got no screen?

faithx

No beeps Rob

robpaxton
Explorer

I thought of that after making the post so edited to include the any beeps question.

robpaxton
Explorer

Are you sure the monitor is working? - try plugging the monitor into the working desktop.

faithx

Yep, I've actually got the monitor on at the moment with my new desktop.

kee-lo_

Sounds like something had died.

robpaxton
Explorer

I would now take the back off the computer. I'd first push fairly firmly on all of the socketted chips and cards to ensure that they haven't crept out during storage. I would also remove and reinsert the memory cards. I would then try the machine again.

If still not working then I would remove the interface cables from the drives and try again.

faithx

I really, really hope not. I suppose I might have to break it down bit my bit trying different components in my new one. So wait for the flood of questions :slight_smile: