Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics Card Upgrade

mgben
Visitor

Graphics Card Upgrade

I know this is probably a long shot. But I would like to know if it is at all possible to upgrade my Sony VAIO PCG-FX702 Graphics Card, or Chip. What ever the case may be.

It currently has ATI Rage Mobility M1 Which is pretty poor for 3d games. I would rather spend a little on upgrading the card or chip if possible and getting a bit more ram, than spending a lot of money on a new laptop.

Any comments or ideas are welcome. I would like to know reasons for if this is not possible.

Thanks,
Ben,

5 REPLIES 5
William
Visitor

Hi,

Unfortunately a Graphics upgrade is just not possible. The reason being the chips associated with your graphics are integrated/soldered onto your laptops motherboard.

Lizzie
Visitor

William got there before me - i got logged out posting my reply - here it is anyway :slight_smile:

i have a laptop and searched ATI via their site looking for an upgrade, i couldn't even find the make so i contacted customer services. they were very helpful and quick to reply. this is the reply i got,

The display driver supplied with a given notebook has been customized for:
* the built-in flat panel display
* any other graphics or video options installed in that specific computer.
As a result of these customizations, ATI Customer Care is unable to offer drivers for notebooks.

this is the site if you want to try and see if there is an upgrade
http://www.ati.com/

William
Visitor

Thanks Lizzie,

You are right you can possibly upgrade the driver but thats all I am afraid. :slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Nice to see you again Ben

heresjono
Visitor

I had a similar state of affairs, but i got an extra 512mb ram (1024mb actually cause my original ram was split as 2x256) , and upgraded the ati drivers with this little number at omegadrivers

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati/win2k_xp.php - select a mirror, install it and your away ( remember to create a restore point first justy in case, i have to say this whenever giving this kind of advice cause id hate to screw stuff up 4 u).
It really made the difference between some games being annoying and really quite playable
Jono:smileyhappy: