Join now - be part of our community!

problems with nortoninternet security 2006 zone alarm

profile.country.en_GB.title
nrmalle
Visitor

problems with nortoninternet security 2006 zone alarm

please can any one adivce.
i had to uninstall norton internet security 2006 because computer won't shut down.
i downloaded free zone alarm firewall computer won't start frezes on windows xp.
i had to uninstall this in safe mode.
i would like to install some firewall as i do lot of internet banking.
desktop Vaio PCV-RS604
thank you all in advance.
belgrave

8 REPLIES 8
kee-lo_

Hi

I suggest getting the lastest virus definitions and then scanning the PC in Safe Mode (not networking)

tonybeard
Explorer

More proof Nortons sucks. I too have been down this road. In safe mode as the 'Lo suggests go to the prompt in accessories or run C: and type chkdsk. Then C:scandisk and reboot. Once the system is more stable install Tuneup utilities 2006 from .here and do all it reccommends especially the registry defragmentation on reboot install zonealarm again and that should have removed most of the active elements of Nortons. Zonealarm is excellent so stick with it.

GBS
Visitor

getting rid of Norton can be tricky, so tricky that they even made a program to remove it properly:smileyhappy:

Click the link at the bottom.

HTH

cadamssony
Visitor

is cone alarm better than windows firewall?
is windows firewall enough..cos thats all i use...altho there is a router in place too

hldomster
Visitor

getting rid of Norton can be tricky, so tricky that they even made a program to remove it properly:smileyhappy:

Click the link at the bottom.

HTH

how bloody ridiculous.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

In my experience zonealarm is good. It can be a bit fiddly at first but stick with it. Also if you have a router with an inbuilt firewall then there shouldn't really be much getting through anyway

kee-lo_

Zone Alarm beats Windows Firewall every time

nrmalle
Visitor

thanks for all the suggestions.i think i managed to remove norton completely.i will try zone alarm again.
thanks once more

belgrave