Join now - be part of our community!

Trying to set up a wireless connection

empyrean
Visitor

Trying to set up a wireless connection

I have a PCG GR314MP which I know is quite old (4/5 years ?) and I am trying to set up a wireless ADSL connection. I've managed to get the card in OK but the router does not seem to recognise an ethernet connection. Although I appear to have a port - do I not have ethernet?? If not, can I get somehow?

Many thanks in advance to all techies out there!

Chris

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You should have an Ethernet port right next to your power intake in the flap (if it's like it's brother GRX316MP)

kee-lo_

Ah you might be using a cross over cable
These are only meant for PC>PC connection

empyrean
Visitor

You should have an Ethernet port right next to your power intake in the flap (if it's like it's brother GRX316MP)

Hi there

I've found the ethernet port (under a rubber flap?) but the router is not recognising its existence. When I look at the XP "port activation" in help I'm only getting a printer port and serial port showing as available. Do I need to activate it in some way?

thanks for replying to my plea for help

empyrean
Visitor

Ah you might be using a cross over cable
These are only meant for PC>PC connection

Ah - so what should I do? According to the package it's for notebooks as well as PCs. Any ideas?

kee-lo_

Sounds like it is a crossover

Buy a patch cable, shouldn't cost you > £2
Maplins are good for that

empyrean
Visitor

Sorry for the silence - been away.

I've moved on a bit! I discovered that the ethernet connection was disabled so I have now enabled it and am managing to get a light on the router which ackjnowledges the connection. Only problem is the light should be green and it's amber - not flashing or anything. The instructions don't provide any info on this occurrence - any ideas? Do I have to "configure" the ethernet port or something like that? Help please!!

kee-lo_

Amber usually means that it's connected, but not ready for use

Which router is it?