Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio PCG-FX401 will not detect RAM in slot 2

ajreeves
Visitor

Vaio PCG-FX401 will not detect RAM in slot 2

Hi All

I have just bought a 256MB RAM module to fit my Vaio FX401, complementing the 128MB installed by the factory. The Vaio will only detect the module in slot 1 (regardless of which module is fitted there) and does not detect the second module.
Is there something I haven't done? BIOS?

Help please!!!!

11 REPLIES 11
William
Visitor

Dodgy 2nd RAM slot springs to mind .:smileysad:

Especially if your first slot recognises either module.

ajreeves
Visitor

Hmmm. The thought had occurred to me - especially as this is the first time the Viao has had two modules installed. Is there any way to tell?

Cheers

William
Visitor

Well as far as I know and I may be wrong, your Vaio should boot with a stick of Ram in either slot but obviously if its not recognised when inserted in the 2nd slot it won't boot normally.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Gosh there must be thousands of dodgy soldering jobs out there, isn't it time Sony called them back in?

William
Visitor

Gosh there must be thousands of dodgy soldering jobs out there, isn't it time Sony called them back in?

Kee-Lo,

I think I have more chance of spending the night with Angelina Jolie than that happening :smileygrin:

I bet now you are going to tell me you already have and she was rubbish :smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

LOL I could only dream of that

ajreeves
Visitor

At work right now but tonight I'm going to try booting the Vaio up with RAM in slot 2 only. If this works then I'm informed that it might be due to incompatibility issues between the two modules.
If the slot is bad, then this will be doubly frustrating as it's the first time the laptop will have had two RAM modules fitted. Funny how these things come to light after the warranty expires....

Cheers all

ajreeves
Visitor

Nope - booting up the laptop with RAM in slot 2 only did not work. So, the thought is that the slot is defective...unless anyone has any bright ideas.....

Thoughts?

Cheers

AJR

William
Visitor

Seems like you have isolated the culprit.

I have put a thread in "Solutions" regarding a gentleman who is in Peterborough who should be able to resolder it.

I should stress I have no connection and neither have I used his services but if you want it done he may be able to sort you out.

Sony don't fix at board level they will want to replace the Mobo at very great expense.